Meet Me in a Minute: Deborah Bodansky

[youtube]https://youtu.be/jrHiVHgI7b0[/youtube]

We all have talents that make us unique, and that separate us from others. These talents might include being a good basketball player, an outstanding artist, or a great singer. For sophomore Deborah Bodansky, it’s that she can speak backwards.

“When I was little, like around three years old, I use to say sentences backwards in Russian, since it was my first language, and then when I learned English I just adapted it. Now I can do it in both languages,” Bodansky said.

Ever since Bodansky was a child, she has known to read and speak backwards in English or in Russian. She learned how to speak backwards in Russian first because it seemed easier for her to pronounce things. Then, when she learned to speak English, she read books and soon learned to speak backwards in English as well.

After learning to read at a very young age, Bodansky quickly got bored of reading the same books, and decided to try reading in a new, different way.

”I would read my favorite book so many times that it would not be interesting anymore, so one day I decided to read it backwards for fun because I had nothing better to do,” Bodansky said.

Ever since then, she has know to read and speak backwards. Her talent is something that is both hard to do and rare to find.

”I am the only one in my family that knows how to speak backwards. I believe its because I learned how to read so quickly,” Bodansky said.

Bodansky has a talent that is unique only to her. Since none of her family members know how to speak backwards, Bodansky’s cool, raw talent distinguishes her from others. Bodansky’s  talent comes naturally to her, and she has acquired it from reading an abundance of books.

“You can give her almost any word and she’ll say the word backwards within seconds. It’s a really unique gift that I wish I had,” sophomore Sophia Izquierdo said.