Niles West’s MSA Hosts Second Annual Ramaday

Annual Powder Puff Game to Take Place

As their feet line up on the line of scrimmage, with desire to win in their hearts, the girls Power Puff game begins. The annual Powder Puff game has been a tradition at Niles West and North for years; drawing out girls to play a sport they like, try new things, make new friends, and of course, win.

Girls from all grade levels are excited for the upcoming game and are looking forward to the outcome of it.

“I am looking forward to the game for sure,” junior Nikoleta Baxevankis said. “I wanted to join Powder Puff because before freshman year, I had never played flag football and I thought I’d try it out. I think the sophomore-junior team is going to win because we have many strong assets to our team that can make a difference.”

Powder Puff has been a fun way for girls to participate in a fun, action-packed event once a year, and creates a competitiveness in girls from all grades. Many girls are looking forward to a game that has been hyped up by many others. It has always been a entertaining way to compete against classmates.

Hibba Alhasan, is a member of the sophomore-junior team, and is a former transfer student since her sophomore year. Alhasan is really looking forward to competing in an event her prior school did not offer.

“One thing I’m definitely looking forward to is playing the game and having fun; it’s not so often that a group of girls can join a team and go on the field to play a football game,” Alhasan said. “I was a transfer student sophomore year from the city, and when I heard we had this program I was excited to join it and have the experience.”

Alhasan and Baxevankis both have high hopes that the sophomore-junior team will bring home the win.

The girls participating in Powder Puff also have an excited and support group of coaches behind them.

“I’m looking forward to watching a bunch of educated, engaged, and empowered young female citizens get on the football field and play a good, clean game of football,” civics teacher Amanda Slefo said. “I love seeing former students and new students I haven’t met yet out on the field working so well together,” she said.

Slefo is an alumni of the Powder Puff program; she played back when she attended Niles North High School.

Make sure to come out this Tuesday at 4:00 p.m. to see your girls participate in a fun, competitive game of flag football.