Niles West to Host Theatre Showcase

Back to Article
Back to Article

Niles West to Host Theatre Showcase

By Divitya Vakil

The Theater for Young Audiences showcase will take place in the Blackbox theater on Wednesday, Oct. 26 at 5:00 p.m. The showcase is designed for kids of all ages, specifically from the feeder schools, to introduce them to the world of theatre.

This year’s performance will be “Alice in Wonderland,” and the cast is comprised of theater students dedicated to showing younger kids what high school theater is all about.

“The show this year seems really interesting, especially since Niles West is putting their own take [on the show],” senior Cosette Nowik said.

While Cosette is not a part of this troupe, sophomore Lily Gussis is, and is ecstatic for the performance.

“I was first drawn in by the idea of this program because we would not only be writing our own version of “Alice in Wonderland,” but we would be going around and performing for kids,” Gussis said. “Whenever I’ve performed in the past, some of my favorite moments have been seeing the kids’ faces after performing or them coming up to you trying to talk to your character and give them a hug. There’s no feeling like it in the world.”

Sophomore Amber Ilisie, who will play the Mad Hatter, feels that theater can change lives, which is why she decided to audition.

“I think it’s a great idea. I feel as if with this show, we can show just what Niles West Theatre has to offer,” said Ilisie. “It can be a wonderful way to demonstrate just how lively and dedicated this department is.”

If you’re interested in joining theater as a high school student, contact Andrew Sinclair at [email protected]