Playstation Hacking Causes Concern for Students and Staff

The Playstation accounts of millions of people, including Niles West students and staff, were hacked  into, resulting in stolen credit card information and lost money in some cases.

Junior Luke Hoffman was shocked when discovered money had been withdrawn from his account.

“Well, I have no idea how it happened,” he said. “I got an e-mail from Bank of America on Monday morning, and it said my account had irregular activity so they were forced to suspend it.  When I called them, they told me $800 had been withdrawn from my account.”

According to The New York Times, the 77 million people who have Playstation accounts got their personal information stolen, such as names, addresses, and emails.  Although most people were able to change their credit card numbers and work things out, it was still devastating to many people who could not get their money back.

Ryan Schol, who works and the Technology Help Desk here at Niles West and got his own information stolen, said, “Sony was most likely using outdated software to save money, and because of this the security was lax.  Somebody was smart enough to figure that out and then was able to get hundreds of thousands of people’s credit card information.”

Were you affected by this? Comment below, and let us know how you’re coping.