Volunteer Fair to be held Friday

The annual Volunteer Fair will be held this Friday, Oct. 21. Organizations will be lined up in the halls outside of the cafeteria in search of high school volunteers during all lunch periods.

Niles West activities director Katie Odell thinks it is really important for students to get involved — not only for their college applications, but also for the good of the community.

“It’s good for students to give back to others in our community and also explore different things that maybe they haven’t done before, like working in a dog shelter. Maybe they’ll find that as a passion but they won’t know because it’s something they’ve never done before,” Odell said. “Also, students are always asking me for other ways to volunteer because if you get 100 hours of community service before graduation, you get a cord and you’re recognized at accolades. By doing the volunteer fair, we’re helping students find more ways to get involved.”

Junior Allena Healy has racked up many volunteer hours, and she really enjoys helping others who are not as fortunate as her.

“I volunteered at a service camp over the summer for the past three years. I have been going to Ohio, Springfield and Wisconsin. There, we go to communities that are in need of things like pulling weeds, painting, visiting nursing homes, etc,” Healy said. “I think volunteering is important because it brings communities together, and it comforts people knowing that other people are willing to sacrifice their time for the sake of helping people and their communities.”

Sophomore Megan Lu hasn’t volunteered yet, but she hopes to find an organization that fits her interests this Friday.

“I don’t have many volunteer hours yet, but I hope I can get some before I graduate in 2019. Maybe I’ll find a charity that interests me at the volunteer fair,” Lu said.