MENU

Niles West Reacts to Cubs Historic Trip to The World Series

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fans arrive for Game 4 of the NLCS as the Chicago Cubs play host to the New York Mets on Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2015, at Wrigley Field in Chicago. (Nuccio DiNuzzo/Chicago Tribune/TNS)

TNS

TNS

TNS

By Sidney Hines

The Chicago Cubs have had a season to remember, finishing with a record of 103-58 and defeating the Los Angeles Dodgers to win the National League Pennant. This means they will be going on to compete against the Cleveland Indians in the World Series.

Although the Cubs have had an outstanding season, this win over the Dodgers has finally allowed the Cubs to return to the World Series, a feat they have not accomplished in 71 years. This year may be the year the Cubs win it all,  taking the title of MLB World Series Champions, a title they have not won in 108 years.

The Cubs had first defeated the Giants in the NLDS series, then returned to face the Dodgers in the NLCS, in which they came back from a 2-1 deficit to win 4-2 over the Dodgers.

This win has resulted in excitement and joy in the city of Chicago, with a desire to win it all. Cubs fans everywhere are ecstatic about this win, and hope the Cubs can finish out this season with success.

People of Chicago are very excited to see their Cubs play in the World Series, and believe this is an incredible experience.

“Yesterday was full of anxiety for me, being a Cubs fan for so long and going to games ever since I was two,” sophomore Mady Hester said. “It was an incredible experience, and to be able to see something that hasn’t happened since 1945 is such a great feeling. It is awesome seeing a team who you love and support being able to accomplish something like this.”

Senior Kosta Hatzopolous also shares this love and support for the Cubs, and is very excited to see what they can do against the Indians in the World Series.

“I’m beyond excited,” he said. “I literally almost started crying of happiness last night. My entire life, since even before Lou Piniella and Alfonso Soriano and that whole team in 2008; I’ve been following them heavily since I was about six. If we are able to win the World Series, I hope we are able to resign pitchers Jake Arrieta and Aroldis Chapman and create a dynasty.”

Many other people are thrilled by the fact that the Cubs have finally accomplished something that fans have been waiting a lifetime for.

“I was just in shock; it was weird. We have waited so long for this chance and it has finally come in an easy way,” social studies teacher Dana Kanwischer said.

Among all the happiness and joy over the Cubs win, there are also bittersweet feelings of those whose family members never got to see this moment happen.

“The first emotion I felt was sadness; my mom and dad were rabid Cubs fans. Although they lived in Indianapolis, they watched games, back when superstition carried almost every game, and they insisted on going to Wrigley Field whenever they visited in the summer,” English teacher Michael Conroy expressed. “They lived and died with the team and their optimism was boundless. For them, every year was certain to be “the year.” It never was. They both died in the 1990’s, and my first thought Saturday night was how much I wish they were still alive to see their beloved Cubs make it to the World Series.”

Make sure to join in on this elation and pride that fans have and cheer on your Chicago Cubs as they strive to finish off this season to remember and win the World Series. The first game of the series will be played this Tuesday, Oct. 25 at 7:00 p.m.

Sidney Hines, Features Editor

Sidney Hines is the features for the NWN. When she's not playing basketball or spending time with her friends, she's usually taking care of her dogs.

1 Comment

One Response to “Niles West Reacts to Cubs Historic Trip to The World Series”

1. Michael Conroy on December 4th, 2016 10:17 pm

Sidney, this is an excellent article, but you mistook “superstation,” i.e. WGN, for “superstition.” While my parents may well have watched the games holding a good luck charm, I don’t believe the game was broadcast on a rabbit’s foot or horseshoe.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Carousel

Spring Pep Assembly In Review

• Niles West Reacts to Cubs Historic Trip to The World Series

Academics

Pi Day 2019

Carousel

Meet Me In A Minute: Petra Barbur

Carousel

Wolfpack Gives Back In Review 2019

Carousel

Black History Month Assembly