Study Abroad with CIEE

[youtube]https://youtu.be/qo04ekswzGs[/youtube]

Many people like to brag about participating in a study-abroad program in college, but few people have the opportunity to study abroad in high school.

The CIEE Study Abroad program was created 70 years ago to give high school students the opportunity to do so. However, the Global Navigator Scholarship is only three years old.

“The scholarship was given by a wealthy benefactor who wanted students to have the opportunity to travel and have that study abroad experience. She felt that students who merit and have financial needs should be given the same opportunities as kids who have the money to pay for it on their own,” said Director of World Languages, Todd Bowen.

All of the programs take place during the summer, but depending on what program is selected, the course is either 3 or 4 weeks long. There are three different programs available to students: Language and Culture, Service and Leadership, or Global Discovery.

Many students would describe their study-abroad trip as being not only educational, but that they have grown as a person through this experience.

“While I was in France, I had classes every day that were taught in French. I thought it was really interesting and it helped me improve my French a lot. I made many really good friends during the trip because I spent every day with them. Overall, I think this experience made me more open as a person,” junior Izzy Pop said.

Most students who have studied abroad said they thoroughly enjoyed their experience, and would recommend others to take advantage of this opportunity if ever given to them.

“This experience taught me to have a wider perspective in life and to be grateful for everything I have. I would definitely recommend this to other students because it’s an opportunity for students to visit another country, see how others live life, and cherish unforgettable memories,” senior Crystal Shin said.

Most of the programs cost around $5,000; however, students can apply for scholarships to help them pay for their trip. Last year, the 17 students who studied abroad from North and West earned up to $63,000 worth of scholarships altogether.

If you’re interested in participating in the study abroad program, make sure you go to https://www.ciee.org/study-abroad/ and fill out the application by Thursday, Dec. 1.