Meet Me in a Minute: Ritah Nakitende

The 3:23 bell has rung and junior Ritah Nakitende is already well on her way to debate with her eyes fixated on her notes, rehearsing for her next argument. 

“I joined debate because my sister was in it. She’s an idol of mine and she encouraged me to join. It’s a lot of fun for me since I love to argue about crazy stuff,” Nakitende said.

Unfortunately, Nakitende has experienced frequent fainting as a result from stress, which has prevented her from getting more involved. 

“I’m going to join track and soccer this year. I have always wanted to join a sport in school, but I have had so many health issues it has stopped me. But this year I am clear to do anything,” Ritah said.

Nakitende doesn’t let her past health issues stand in her way from accomplishing her goals.

“Ritah has been very ambitious and I’m happy to see that she can finally be able to do what she wants to do,” junior Nayeli Celisten said.

Nakitende’s dedication leads her to working until she reaches her goals.

“Ritah is a very dedicated person. When she starts something, she doesn’t quit. She really likes debate and has really grown as a person,” senior Subbi Namakula said.

Aside from debate, Nakitende also takes pride in her involvement in the club Girls Who Code. 

“My sophomore geometry teacher started the club,” Nakitende said. “She was really into it and I just got my passion from her. So she started the club to help girls become more educated about computers and coding. It’s fun and I love seeing girls more interested in such a fun program.”

Tutoring is Nakitende’s way of giving back to her community. Aside from being a student tutor in the Literacy Center here at West, she spends time tutoring in the Niles Public Library as well. 

“She has been a huge inspiration to me with all that she has done. Even though we are in the same grade I feel like she’s a big sister to me, and I look up to her,” junior Navy Moor said.