Niles West’s MSA Hosts Second Annual Ramaday

Comment to Win a Free Manicure From Charming Nails!

Charming Nails Salon PHOTO by Colene Gibson

It’s really easy to just drive past a strip mall completely ignoring what businesses are located inside of it.  Trust me, I’ve done it a million of times.  I’ve even went into stores within a strip mall and remained ignorant of the adjacent businesses.  So, when I realized I had been ignoring Charming Nails, located at 7132 Dempster Street in Morton Grove, for years as I drove to the Great American Bagel right across the strip mall, I was pretty upset with my ignorance.

Sure, the salon may only have a “NAILS” written on the outside and appear like a typical salon, but it is the location of my new favorite salon.

It’s close to my house (I live in Niles, so it’s an entire three-minute drive to get there.), reasonable in cost, comfortable and relaxing inside, and the staff is friendly and kind.

I made an appointment a few days in advance by calling 847.581.1977 and simply stating I wanted to schedule an appointment for a manicure.  They quickly scheduled my appointment and were very friendly on the phone.  When I called back the afternoon before to push my manicure an hour later, they easily accommodated my schedule without any complaints.

The prices are pretty much the same as the other salons in the area: $14 for just a manicure and $35 for a manicure and pedicure.

When I arrived 10 minutes early for my appointment, the nail salon’s owner, Janet, greeted me and encouraged me to pick a color from the tables stationed in the front of the salon that were teeming with colors.  I searched through the O.P.I. and Essie products and noted that nearly every color and every shade imaginable were located on the racks of colors.  I did notice that I couldn’t find a smokey grey, but I quickly settled on a cute dark purple.

As I was about to sit in one of the chairs in the waiting area, Janet instructed me to go sit at a manicure station instead since the nail technician was nearly ready for me.

I worked my way over to my seat and instantly noticed that the supplies were still in a sterile package — completely unused!  I’ve never had a manicure with completely new supplies.  In the past, I’ve seen the nail technician take supplies out of a sterilizing machine that looks sort of like a microwave oven, but I’ve never seen a sterile package opened right in front of me.

My manicurist, Jamie, promptly began their manicure regiment.  It was a pretty standard regiment — take off nail polish, soak nails, shape nails, cut cuticles, apply unlabeled products, paint nails, apply top coat, etc. — but there was one crucial bonus: massages.  Most places will quickly massage on some lotion before painting nails, but Charming Nails included legit massages multiple times throughout their nail regiment.  It was really amazing, so it was definitely a relaxing and welcome addition.

They also did really well following the regiment.  I didn’t feel it at all while Jamie was trimming my cuticles, and she even made sure that my nails were clean underneath instead of just the surface.

Another major difference I noticed while Jamie was working on my nails was the chatter of the clients around me.  It wasn’t annoying or distracting, but everyone seemed to be joking around with Janet.  It made me realize that the clientele consisted mostly of regulars, so it made me even more confident that the salon was worth coming to.

Once my manicurist finished painting my nails, she handed me a business card that she had written the date and her name on.  Then she led me to an actual nail drying station unlike how I was left stranded at Green T Nails to leave at my own embarrassment.  She carried all my belongings for me and led me to a seat.  After hanging my coat on the back of my chair and setting my other belongings down next to me, she started yet another massage!

I began reading through a couple pages of a few different magazines such as US and Teen Vogue as my nails dried.  A few minutes later, once my nails dried, I stood up and began putting on my coat.  Immediately, Jamie rushed back to spray my nails with a quick enamel drying product.  Then, with my departing goodbye, I left.

The best part: the manicure actually lasted.  My nails weren’t chipping the next day like my manicure from Green T Nails.  In fact, this manicure survived a lot more scenarios that could have ruined my nails such as making my mom her Mother’s Day present with my brother and hosting my family which included cooking and cleaning.  So, I think it’s safe to say that Charming Nails can provide a manicure and pedicure that will last through prom and quite a while after that.

Do you want a chance to win a free manicure at Charming Nails!  Prom is coming up and, this time, we’re giving away two gift certificates for a free manicure!

To enter the contest, simply leave a comment:

• Have you ever been to Charming Nails before?  If so, what did you think of it?
  • If not, then after reading this review, do you plan to visit Charming Nails?
  • What are your pet peeves about nail salons? What are your MUSTs?

Comment as much as you would like, but you will only get an entry for your first.

This giveaway is open to STUDENTS ONLY (sorry teachers! NWN staff is not allowed to enter either!)

Two winners will be selected via random.org. The winners will be contacted via email and will be announced on Morning Announcements.

Contest ends Monday, May 16 at 8 PM.