MENU

SADD Club Holds “Stress Less” Week

Back to Article
Back to Article

SADD Club Holds “Stress Less” Week

By Divitya Vakil

With final exams approaching for Niles West students with less than three weeks to go, the stress and anxiety from testing can result in mental distress and can be a burden to students. The SADD Club will be hosting its annual Stress Less Week in the student commons starting Monday, Dec. 13 in an attempt to reduce the stress students may feel around this time of the year.

SADD Club sponsor Jessica Madigan-Verceles believes that stress is a major problem within society today, and can be notably seen in high schools.

“‘Stress Less for Finals’ week was mainly created to help Niles West students learn how to reduce stress,” Madigan-Verceles said. “But it was also created to encourage conversations about stress, as well as promote balance and support in school. It is important that students are not stressed during finals because when you stress less, you are happier, have increased memory, are more likely to experience uninterrupted sleep, and are at a lower risk of becoming sick. We want Niles West [students] to be healthy, happy, and be the very best versions of themselves when taking finals.”

In order to help combat the negative effects of stress, SADD club has organized stress-relieving activities such as ping pong and coloring, to take place during lunch periods. Senior Ganise Concepcion, a member of SADD club, feels that Stress Less Week is beneficial for anyone that is feeling the heavy burdens of final exams.

“The beginning of freshman year was pretty stressful since I didn’t understand what was going on [during finals],” Concepcion said. “Over the years, I learned how to deal with everything, so I’m not as stressed anymore. SADD really tries to acclimate students of all ages to taking their finals without worrying.”

Sophomore Mahima Khanal plans on stopping by the commons to see what this week is all about.

“I’m really stressed about finals even though I’m a sophomore. This one test can impact your grade so much, so it’s kind of a burden to know that I have to do well,” Khanal said. “I’m glad that Stress Less Week exists. It’s comforting to know that people care about your mental health more than they are making sure you ace the final.”

Stress Less Week will take place during all lunch periods. Make sure to contact Jessica Madigan-Verceles ([email protected]) for any additional information or for any questions you may have.