Teacher Appreciation Week, Part 3: Thanks, Señora Capuzelo

After a long day, the last thing you want to do is sit in a classroom and learn Spanish grammar for 42 minutes before the 3:23 bell, right? Perhaps in YOUR Spanish class, but not so much in mine.

Having Señora Capuzelo as a teacher is like having your best friend teach you. From dancing in front of the class to music she listened to when she was a teenager, to enticing 25 sophomores and juniors with her stories of her little birds, or more commonly known as her bebes to studying Arabic in between activities, ‘Capu’ keeps us attentive without making it seem like she’s forcing us to.

Especially when we watch La Catrina, a soap opera in Spanish . Although she shows it to us for learning purposes, she laughs at the horrible acting, choppy filming, and corny story line with us. How many other teachers do that?

With her cherry red lips and matching bangs, Señora Capuzelo also knows how to diffuse the tension in any situation.

Passing out the test on the subject her students struggle with most, the sequences of tenses, she tries to calm us down with her original, and what came to be her signature, phrase, No es brain surgery, or in short, NEBS.

It gets better. SEBS exists too (Si, es brain surgery).

Along with the abbreviations for her signature phrases, Señora Capuzelo tends to give nicknames to her students, or calls them by their surname due to the fact that she likes the surname too much to call the student by their first name. Max Collins became Mr. Collins from Pride and Prejudice, Andy Rapoport became Rapoport, Keith Cercone became Cercone, Natalie Chacon became CHAcon, and Rachel Fricke became Frick. And this is only in ninth period.

Señora Capuzelo has proved that not all learning is boring. By bringing life into the classroom, she shows me that Spanish can actually be fun at times, and for that, I thank her.