Variety Show Tryouts to be Held Wednesday After School

The first set of auditions for the annual Niles West Variety Show will take place after school on Wednesday, Dec. 7 in the choir room from 3:40 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Dance Marathon is hosting the even in order to raise money for their charity, which this year is Hope Junior. Hope Junior is an organization on the South Side of Chicago that helps at-risk youth by providing them with a safe learning environment and countless other educational opportunities.

“The Variety Show is an event that has been given to Dance Marathon so that we can raise money for our beneficiary,” cosponsor of the event Lauren Flahive said. “All of the proceeds will go to our charity, which, this year, is Hope Junior. [Hope Junior] is an organization that raises money for at-risk youth to provide them safe and stimulating activities, along with educational opportunities they can use later in life.”

Unlike previous years, the variety show will only take place once this school year. The actual event was moved to March, in an attempt to avoid interfering with International Week and thus getting more cultural groups involved.

Students who have already taken part in the show find it to be an unforgettable experience and one they recommend to others.

“I was in the Variety Show my freshman year and I thought it was really exciting,” junior Julia Ann Karpilovsky said. “I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in auditioning.”

Many students intending to audition this year are both excited and nervous to be a part of such an experience.

“The show is something I’ve never done before,” junior Francis Matias said. “It seems like a great opportunity and I’m eager to showcase my talents with my group. I’ve only heard positive things about the show and the fact that all the proceeds will be going charity is amazing.”

Last year, Dance Marathon made approximately $94,000 off the show to donate to their charity; this year their goal is to make $100,000.

Dance Marathon will host another set of tryouts later on in the year for the show, so there is more practice time for the groups that intend to audition.