Top Five Christmas Movies for Winter Break

December: the month of love, happiness, joy, and best of all, Christmas! Winter break is right around the corner, and I know a lot of you are thinking of spending a chunk of money to have a fun Christmas break. But it’s not all about the money, sometimes all it takes to have a good time is love for the people you share the moment with. This Christmas, turn your Christmas tree on, light some candles, and put on some of your favorite holiday movies. Christmas is a holiday that represents love, happiness, and hope for those who celebrate it, and what better way than to spend it watching movies with your loved once? Here are my picks for the top five classic Christmas movies you need to watch this winter break.

5. Miracle on 34th Street 

“Miracle on 34th Street” is a movie about a little girl named Susan Walker who finds herself not believing in Santa Claus because of what her mother had told her; her mother Doris also does not believe in Christmas. An elderly old man named Kris was hired on site to play Santa Claus for Macy’s  after the store’s first choice showed up drunk. Things take a turn in the movie when the Macy’s supervisor Doris Walker starts to realize Kris actually believes he is the real Santa Claus. Kris is a big part of this movie because he does everything in his power to make Doris believe in Santa Claus but also tries to make her daughter’s wishes come true. Kris finds himself trying to prove his identity in the court of law, but then the whole town joins in to help show the court that they “believe.”

4. Elf

“Elf” is an inspiring movie that begins with a human orphan named William “Buddy” Hobbs catching a ride to the North Pole in Santa’s present bag on one of Santa Clauses trips. Santa Claus took him in and treated him as one of his very own elves. As Buddy grows older, it becomes obvious he is not an “elf” because he is much much bigger than the rest — he is just an ordinary human. Eventually Buddy is pulled aside and told that the elf that cared for him is not his real father and that he is not an actual elf. Buddy sets out for New York City in search of his birth father. He’s successful and finds his father in the big city, but finds himself stuck between two worlds when trouble comes regarding both his father and Santa Claus.

3. Home Alone

“Home Alone” follows the story of eight-year-old Kevin McCallister, who was left behind at his house during the holidays. Kevin was left behind after his family forgot about him because they were in a hurry to catch a flight for their holiday vacation. While having the time of his life home alone, Kevin finds himself in some trouble that could leave him killed or kidnapped. While any normal child would have called the police or run away to a neighbor’s house, Kevin finds himself making booby traps for the two burglars trying to get into his home. The burglars find out very quickly they have messed with the wrong kid after they’re welcomed with an insanely clever, intricate, and painful booby traps. 

2. The Santa Clause

“The Santa Clause” is the perfect movie to put you in a happy Christmas mood. It is a movie about how divorced father Scott and his son get in a big mess with Santa Claus and the law. One night, Scott almost accidentally kills what looks to be Santa Claus when he made Santa fall of the roof. He finds a note that says that if anything was ever to happen to him, for the person to go onto his sleigh and the reindeers’ would know what to do. When Scott gets to the North Pole he soon finds out he has to take Santa’s place and become Santa himself because he is responsible for the death of Claus. Scott thinks the whole event is nothing more than a weird dream, but over time he begins to realize it is not even close to a dream. Over the next few months, he begins to gain weight and grow a white beard. He soon finds out he has a lot to prepare for as the new Santa Claus.

1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)

The number one movie I recommend for you to watch this winter is “How The Grinch Stole Christmas.” This will make you feel like Christmas is the next morning: it’s a movie filled with funny scenes, heartwarming messages, and a glimpse at the real meaning of Christmas. On top of the mountain in the town of the Whos lives Mr. Grinch who is not considered a Who, but more of a What. The Grinch hates Christmas and everything about it; he hates even hearing music related to it.  One day as the Grinch spends his days alone with his dog Max, a little girl named Cindy Lou knocks on his door and invites him down to the town of Whos. She tells him that she has nominated him for the award of the “Who” that best signifies all the qualities of a Who-dom. The Grinch gets all prepared but once he gets there, he is greeted with a little more Christmas than he can handle. The Grinch goes crazy and takes away anything Christmas-related from the town of Whos, but his plan is later ruined after the people of the town use this to their advantage and find the true meaning of Christmas.

Snuggle up with a fluffy blanket and a cup of hot cocoa and get ready to watch some of the funniest, saddest, and most heart-warming holiday movies that are oozing with Christmas spirit. Invite some friends over and make it a marathon, but just know that Christmas isn’t all about spending money. Instead, spend it with loads of laughter and love with these classics. Have a great winter break, and happy holidays!