Shameless: A Show Worth Bingeing

The Gallagher family is possibly the most dysfunctional family you’ll ever come across. It consists of three brothers, two sisters, and an alcoholic father who only appears to be at the bar half of the time or passed out in the middle of nowhere. Minus the underage drinking, the explicit sex scenes, and the need to swear every five seconds, “Shameless” is a show that engages the audience and keeps them begging for more.

Each member in the family is unique and very unlike most characters that would appear on TV today. One example is Lip Gallagher ,played by Jeremy Allen White. He seems to be every girl’s heartthrob, with his dashing looks and “punk-like” personality, and as the acting father role in his younger siblings’ lives, all while maintaining a 4.6 GPA.

Fiona Gallagher, portrayed by the immensely talented Emmy Rossum, is the eldest sister and head of the household, who is always in a relationship with a new guy every other week and is always finding new ways of making money to save their house from being foreclosed.

Many people that are watching this show today are surprised at how the show is better than it seemed. This show is unlike many others; it gives off a weird “everyday routine” for the Gallagher kids and shows their true lifestyle. That being said, how can something so simple be so entertaining? In a TV land where there are shows like “Gossip Girl” and “The Real Housewives of New Jersey,” where viewers are sold on the glamorous life they live in and the unnecessary drama they get into, Shameless is there to cure the jealousy. Instead of wishing you lived on the Upper East Side, you’re thankful you live in suburbia, not having to steal a baby to get a new water heater.

Each character has a distinctive trait that makes them stand out, and that is why fans fall in love with the characters. The relationships between the Gallagher family and their amazing supportive characters is an interesting aspect of the show. The plot, on the other hand, is different every episode, but it leaves viewers on the edge of their seat, ready to click the next episode with no regard to how much time has passed binge watching the show.

If you want to watch a show full of surprises, flawed characters, and a family that does not meet the standards of a regular family, then you have found something to binge watch all break. It can also be pretty exciting to visit The Gallagher House in Chicago because it is only an hour drive away. “Shameless” airs on Showtime, but be sure to catch up on all six seasons with Netflix or the latest episode on Amazon.