MENU

Accolades Cover Contest Begins

Back to Article
Back to Article

Accolades Cover Contest Begins

By Nicole Zelazko

Do you want your artwork to be showcased on the 2017 Accolades cover? Then be sure to submit your proposed cover work to the Student Activities center by Thursday, Jan. 27.

The Accolades ceremony is to honor Niles West students who have showed exemplary accomplishments throughout this year in academic departments and extracurricular activities.

As tradition dictates, the program cover will be designed by a Niles West student. The cover design must include the date of the ceremony, Thursday, May 19, 2017, the school colors red, black, white, and gray, and must follow this year’s theme, “And So The Adventure Begins.” A prize will be awarded to the winner.

Last year’s cover-winner, junior Melanie Juarez, felt as if the contest not only opened up her mind, but also created a new trust with people, in terms of displaying her artwork.

“Advice I’d give to others is to not over think it. A simple design emphasizes the formality of the event, and it could be an eyesore to see too many designs composed into one piece. The font is also a huge part of the piece, and I think keeping everything sophisticated looking is key,” Juarez said.

This year’s theme was selected by the senior cabinet. Vice president Sokol Delisi believes the cabinet truly selected the most relevant quote, and is sure it will leave a lasting impact on the programs participants.

“This quote is important because it shows the transition from youth to adulthood. Not only does it set the perfect tone for the night, but we feel as if it will encourage the recipients to look forward into their bright futures that lie ahead,” Delisi said.

Student activities director Katie Odell is excited to see students’ proposed ideas. She strongly encourages students to put some thought into the cover and stay creative.

“Each year we get something completely different, and I’m hoping this year continues the trend,” Odell said.

Nicole Zelazko, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Nicole Zelazko is the Arts & Entertainment editor for the NWN. When not playing for the school varsity volleyball and basketball teams, Zelazko enjoys...