MENU

Perfect For A Snack, Not A Meal: Wow Bao

By Divitya Vakil

On the corner of Clark and Diversey, it’s hard to miss the bright red, quaint nook of Wow Bao, a delightful bistro blend of Asian cuisines. Upon entering, there is a rush of fragrance that immediately enters your body, filling you with a contrasting warmth compared the cold weather outside.

With the menu posted on a wall, there are a variety of items to pick from. As someone who’s trying to keep my New Year’s resolution of eating healthy, it was comforting to see multiple items that were vegetarian, as well as gluten-free. After scanning the menu for a couple of minutes, it was not surprising that I went for the most obvious choice: two whole-wheat edamame Bao.

However, while I was taking my time to order, the employee was impatiently waiting for me to decide. Apparently, new customers were not as welcomed as I thought. He also was not extremely helpful when I was confirming if my order was sufficient in volume as I was feeling quite ravenous that day. However, rude employee aside, I was very excited to try the bao that was on its way.IMG_5036

Basically, a Baozi (bao), is a type of steamed, filled, bun or bread-like item in various Chinese cuisines, with many variations as to the fillings and the preparations. What I ordered was made with a whole wheat dough, filled with various vegetable additions to the main edamame filling, and steamed. Wow Bao has a huge variety of bao to choose from, ranging from sweet to savory, each one being around two dollars.

When I took my first bite, the filling is what hit my mouth first. It was so flavorful and delicious, and left me wanting to grab another bite. I finished the rest of the bao pretty quickly, as I was hungry and the food was delectable.

Overall, Wow Bao is a cute place to grab a snack, but it is not the place to get a meal. Though their menu did offer noodle and rice dishes, they did not look as appealing as the bao did. If you can put down a lot of food, I would suggest getting three bao. Also, since there are many different kinds of fillings, (including chocolate!) there is no reason to get bored of any of the options there. However, I wasn’t treated the best by the staff and felt unwelcome, but there are many other locations around Chicago. In retrospect, the food was good, yet also pretty average. I would have to give Wow Bao a 3 out of 5 stars.

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Perfect For A Snack, Not A Meal: Wow Bao”

1. WOW bao employee on February 16th, 2017 12:36 am

so your telling me this unprofessional can judge the whole quality and taste of our food by just eating 1 item on the menu? Instead of just sticking to the Bao buns and assuming how everything else tastes, why don;t you actually come try our noodles or variety of fried rices. we even have vegan if thats what floats your boat…

[Reply]

2. Alum on February 18th, 2017 9:30 pm

This is a pretty bad review because you tasted one thing and declared the place not fit for a meal. If you were being graded on your methods of reviewing this you would not get a particularly good grade. It’s like a bizarre failed science fair project where you draw a conclusion without examining any data. C’mon I’d expect better from a Niles West student.

I’d say your average guy would eat 5-6 Bao, which is totally a complete meal. But the rice dishes there are decent too.

Sigh…

[Reply]

3. Alyssa on February 23rd, 2017 8:31 pm

No offense but I have to agree with everyone else,,,,, it doesn’t make sense that you only ordered the bao bun things and then claimed you were able to declare the restaurant as only good for snacks. Also, how did you know the noodles and rice weren’t appealing if your didn’t bother to taste or order them. I’m gonna spare you the more details because I think you get the point. I really hope someone else in the Niles west news who’s a decent writer can check Bao wow out and rewrite them a fair review. I also advise you for your own dignity to pursue something other then writing, it’s not just this post honey; this isn’t working out for you.

[Reply]

Calm Down Reply:

Doesn’t seem to be working out for you either, honey.

*than
    *you
    etc.
    And you didn’t even write the name of the restaurant correctly, so…

[Reply]

4. Chill Man on February 24th, 2017 9:19 am

All of you berating her for writing a bad review, please remember this is a HIGH SCHOOL online newspaper. You shouldn’t expect professional quality stuff because they’re students who are still learning. I understand where you guys are coming from, but give the girl a break.

[Reply]

5. Observant on March 19th, 2017 4:40 pm

I know this is a high school paper but at least formally train these teens before setting them off to write. This girl literally only tasted I bun bread thing and generalized the whole restaurant based on that one item which she probably biased. Please kick this reporter off the staff or else I’m done reading this newspaper. I come here every week to see what’s going on and I read an article or two and go but now I can’t sit quiet. Something has to be done. Show some dignity and get rid of this trashy piece and teach this reporter how to actually write good. Out of respect.

[Reply]

6. Liliana on April 10th, 2017 10:42 pm

Not your best work. Was hoping for more details on all the foods they offer… not just some buns….

[Reply]

7. Wow Bao Consultant on May 11th, 2017 9:26 pm

Little girl we d’not only sell Chinese food, we do Asian and Philippine inspired as well. Second maybe if you were not so cheap you could have tasted our other delectable menu items before going ahead and writing such a filthy and unprofessional piece. I recommend you delete it. And don’t consider coming back to our restaurant as well, thank you very much.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Perfect For A Snack, Not A Meal: Wow Bao

Places

Restaurant Review: TBK Grill

Arts & Entertainment

Skokie’s Hidden Gem: Larsa’s Mediterranean

Places

Kiko’s: A Taste of Bosnia

Arts & Entertainment

Hofbräuhaus: More then Just a Meal

Arts & Entertainment

A Must-Try: Fat Boys Jerk and Soul Food

Arts & Entertainment

Psistaria: The Local Greek Restaurant You Have To Try

Arts & Entertainment

I Scream for Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream

Arts & Entertainment

Nando’s PERi-PERi Brings Culture to Old Orchard Mall

Arts & Entertainment

New Addition to Downtown Skokie: Euro Echo Cafe

Arts & Entertainment

Is The Line At Jollibee’s Really Worth It?