MENU

Niles West to Celebrate Poetry Day on Thursday

Back to Article
Back to Article

By Divitya Vakil

Niles West will be celebrating World Poetry Day two days late by hosting poet Nate Marshall and a performance by members of our slam poetry team, A Tribe Called West, during most periods on Thursday, March 23. Students are encouraged to participate by attending the various performances that will be held throughout the day.

Junior Daniella Rodriguez is excited to showcase what A Tribe Called West has been working on.
“We’re going to be performing poems that we have written throughout the year. Some of these poems include our Louder Than A Bomb set list we performed for quarterfinals. I feel people should hear the words that our generation has to say and a good way to express your feelings is through spoken word. We’re super excited to perform for our peers and are preparing a super wide range of poems,” Rodriguez said.
Senior Roblyn Antenor believes that it is important to take a day to celebrate poetry’s purpose in the world.
Poetry day is important because it gives us the opportunity as a community to get together and do what we do best: tell stories. With the stories that we create we help people understand different lifestyles, topics that aren’t addressed enough, and the truth, even the ugly ones,” Antenor said. “This day, in my opinion, is designed to convey numerous points, one being the fact that we are story tellers. It’s our jobs to continue to pass down our stories to all of the generations.”
Sophomore Gina Kostovetsky, Regional Poetry Out Loud winner, is excited to see the performances, specifically those by A Tribe Called West.
“I’m super excited to see what poetry day is going to have in store because the poetry performed will be very different from what is performed in Poetry Out Loud,” Kostovetsky said. “I love A Tribe Called West because the members are so talented and I love their performances.”

Be sure to stop by the Black Box theater in order to catch some of these performances throughout the day.

Divitya Vakil, Editor in Chief

When she's not writing for the NWN, Divitya can probably be found on the nearest couch taking a nap or binge-watching movies on Netflix. She loves playing...