The NWP w/ Bryanna and Fiona Presents: Oscars Red Carpet Looks, Featuring Leila Meseljevic and Lejla Orman

Girls Varsity Soccer Prepares for CSL Cross-Over Game

The Niles West Girls varsity soccer team is preparing to partake in one of their last games of the season — the CSL Cross-over. The girls team is currently 1-4 in conference and 9-8-2 overall. This game features the girls playing a team from the north conference, based on overall record. This game will be the last regular season game before the wolves enter into the IHSA State Tournament.

Girls soccer coach Bil Papaioannou is confident going into this cross-over game and also into the state tournament.

“We don’t know who our opponent is yet, as it’s based off final records within the conference. We’re just trying to improve upon areas that we’ve kind of slacked off in, or are weak in,” Papaioannou said. “And other than that, we’re just trying to ensure that we clean up on the little things as we go into not only the cross-over game, but the state tournament. We are going to approach it as any other game. Obviously we want to go into it with the mentality that we want to win, and that we want to perform well, so we just want to make sure that our team is as prepared as possible. Based on our performances lately, we have the utmost confidence that our girls will be ready to go and produce the result that we’re looking for.”

Sophomore Lidia Fakhoury also feels confident and excited for the upcoming game, and believes that having a positive mentality will bring forth a win for the girls.

“We’re preparing for this game by doing what we always do — working hard in practice,” Fakhoury said. “I think we also have a positive mentality in practices which makes us work better. I feel confident in this next game. You never know what’s going to happen, but if we play how we’ve been playing these last few games, I believe we’ll be ready to go. We always come in ready to work, no matter who the opponent is. I also believe since it’s our last game, everyone will put everything they have out there and hopefully we come out with a win going into the regional.”

Sophomore Ashley Dyer is eagerly anticipating the game and is hoping for a win before the end of the season.

“Lately we’ve had a lot of games, but the last two days we have had tougher practices. We have been focusing on conditioning and other things, like our ball work and shape,” Dyer said. “I’m really excited for the game because it’s the last game of the season before the state tournament and tryouts for next year. I’m really hoping we can bring home a win.”

With the end of the season approaching, the feelings of excitement for the games are also mixed with a more somber mood.

“I’m sad because the season is almost over, but I’ve had a lot of fun,” Dyer said. “I think we’ll perform very well if we keep playing like we have been lately. We have been working very well together and I have been able to play good soccer with my teammates. I have a lot of confidence in everyone on the team”

The varsity girls soccer team will be hosting the cross-over game this Tuesday, May 9 at 4:45 p.m. Make sure to come out and support the girls as they bring a strong finish to their season.