Thank You for Staying Tuned

By Sana Kadir

If I’m going to be 100% honest with you right now, coming into high school I wanted to be a lawyer. If it wasn’t for my mom constantly pushing me to join the paper, I really don’t know where I would be right now. For some reason, I was really against it too. In fact, when I eventually did end up joining second semester of my Freshman year, majority of my time spent in that class was doing biology homework. If you were to tell me freshman year, that by senior year, I’ll be the managing editor of the newspaper, I promise you I would have never believed you.

The summer before my sophomore year, Mrs. Lauer convinced me to do a summer journalism camp held at the University of Iowa. Who knew it would take five days and a six-hour drive back from Iowa with my teacher to help me figure out what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

Journalism isn’t only about writing. It’s about photography, videos, social media, and much more. I still remember the first article I got criticism on. My article was related to the Charlie Hebdo shooting that occurred in 2015. Boy, whoever commented did not have any type of remorse or mercy with their eight paragraph response. It never discouraged me. I still remember the first time I shot a gallery, I don’t think a single picture was not blurry. Finally, I still remember the first time I took over the Niles West News snapchat, and if you ended up watching it, I am so sorry.

Here’s the funny thing though. I never stopped. To this day I still receive negative comments on many articles but, if anything it pushes me to be greater. To this day, I have never taken a photography class, but yesterday I was awarded a 1st place in state award for one of my pictures. As for social media, the first couple things I did were terrible. I kept growing and I’m humbled to say that I’ve won state, regional, and national awards.

If there’s anything you should take away from my final article for the NWN, it’s first and foremost, listen to your mom. She’s always right. Whether it’s who she thinks is a good or bad friend for you, or if she’s pushing you in a certain direction. I really don’t know how, but moms are ALWAYS right. Secondly, stay open minded. You never really know what you’ll fall in love with. There are so many different classes, clubs, sports, etc to try out at Niles West, it’s a shame to not give at least one of them a chance. Lastly, never ever be discouraged by someone else or yourself. Don’t let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

To all my teachers, friends, and family who have believed in me, thank you. I really would not be where or who I am today without you.

To Mr. Daniel Kosiba, dropping APUSH and joining your honors class was probably one of the best choices I made my junior year, if not the best choice. You have done such an amazing job with fitting real life issues into the curriculum and teaching unbiased history. It’s teachers like you that really make the difference in our lives.

To Mrs. Dena Lichterman, thank you for loving every single one of your student day in and day out. Without you, so many students would be unaware of the many local and nationwide issues we have going on. Thank you for empowering us every day. You are truly one of the most kind-hearted and loving teachers I’ve ever met. 

To Mrs. Jean Attig, I’ve known you for about a year but you have left a huge mark on me and inspired my career path. Thank you for always believing in me (even when I didn’t give you a reason to), and pushing me to be better. I couldn’t have asked for a better first and last year of DECA.

To Dr. Jason Ness, Mr. Mark Rigby, and Mrs.Katie Odell, graduation is around the corner meaning I won’t be pestering you with questions and interviews anymore. Thank you guys for always helping not only me, but the whole NWN staff whenever we needed it and always making time for us in your busy day. I will truly miss you all.

Finally, to Mrs. Evelyn Lauer, you’re definitely going to be my hardest goodbye here at Niles West. You never lost hope in that quiet girl who did her homework in your class. I bet sometimes you now regret it because I’ve turned into that loud girl who can never be found when needed. All your hard work has truly inspired me not just for the past 4 years, but for the rest of my life. You have taught me to speak the truth even if nobody wants to hear it. I probably would have ended up being a really trash debater if it wasn’t for you. Thank you for pushing me to be better every single day. I really wouldn’t be the same without you.

Goodbyes are always hard, but I’m extremely excited to be pursuing a double major in marketing and journalism and a minor in communications at DePaul University next year. Thank you Niles West. This has been Sana Kadir from the NWN signing off one last time.