MENU

Niles North Principal Responds to Nude Photograph Investigation

Due+to+the+many+security+threats+in+the+last+few+weeks%2C+North+has+instated+more+security+measures.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Due to the many security threats in the last few weeks, North has instated more security measures.

By Divitya Vakil, News Editor

In response to an NBC 5 investigative report regarding the solicitation or trading of nude pictures on an anonymous message board finding a nude photograph of a former Niles North student, North principal Jim Edwards sent out a letter to the school’s families. The site is home to online threads featuring nude photos of high school students from at least 67 Illinois schools, including Niles North. 

When the NBC investigator contacted Niles North about possessing a link that contained pictures of a former student, North immediately directed them to the Skokie Police Department.

“The police informed the school that one Niles North graduate was pictured on the site. They said they do not believe the picture was taken during the student’s high school years. The victim is working with police,” Edwards stated in his letter. 

In an effort to curb future instances like these, Edwards is requiring all students to attend a workshop on internet safety. Edwards also noted that this workshop was actually scheduled before the report was released.

“This report provides us with yet another opportunity to remind our students to be careful about what they share on social media, and to warn that sharing intimate photos electronically is not safe,” Edwards wrote. “We also encourage parents to take an active role in talking with their children about using social media responsibly.”

The workshop will take place on September 12. Niles West will also be hosting different speakers that day to speak about combating bullying and internet safety.