Niles West Post Powder Puff Game

By Michelle Carrillo

Powder Puff, also known as girls flag football, has been an annual one-game sport that girls in all grades participate in. This year, the score ended up being 28-24 with the seniors/freshmen team winning. The game took place on Tuesday, Oct, 3 in the stadium.

The class of 2018 was excited because they won their final game for Niles West Powder Puff and they went undefeated all four years competing which is something extraordinary for the senior class.

“The game was great, and everyone had great energy and enthusiasm throughout the whole game. It was awesome for the class of 2018 to win all four years and go 4-0,” senior Nikoleta Baxevanakis said.

The players on the sophomore/junior team have seen what it will take for them to win next year. They need to stay focused, know the game, and be aware of all of the tactics.

“The game went by really fast but it was also intense, from this game I now know that for these types of games you have to know what you are doing and focus as a team as well,” sophomore Valerie Garcia said.

Sophomore Osiris Gutierrez said her team did not do as well as they did last year because the team was not prepared as well due to the fact that they did not have a game plan set ahead of time.

“It was tough because on the opposite team they had faster people with more experience and on our team, we were just making the game plan as we went by. Last year we had several game plans that we had practiced,” Gutierrez said.

For years to come, a recurring desire from the team members is to have a longer season. The girls believe having a longer season with more games can have a bigger impact on how the teams perform.

“Next year I would change instead of versing our school we should verse Niles North and make it a longer season,” Garcia said.

Although there was a team that won and a team that lost, everyone had a good time and fought hard.