Summer Construction Update

Contruction of the future South Lobby, scheduled to be completed in October, continues. Photo by Colene Gibson

Niles West has been working on completing various construction projects over the summer such as a new South Lobby, new bleachers in the football stadium, new staircases, new flooring, and remodeling of the contest gym.

The South Lobby–which was expected to be ready by opening day–is now scheduled to open for use in October. It will be used for more study hall space, meetings, activities, and homeroom, according to principal Kaine Osburn.  The new South Lobby will hold up to 125 people at maximum capacity.

The initial cost for the removal of the canopy and replacement of the windows in the South entrance was $500,000, but additional costs were added to create a South Lobby, which totaled less than $1 million.

“I believe that [building the South Lobby] is worth the costs. We have done nothing extravagant here. We have simply built a needed space that looks nice and will continue to look nice for another 50 years, at least,” said Osburn.

According to Osburn, the new bleachers in the football stadium have been completed as well. The new lights will be functional by the time for the first football and soccer games; if not, the old lights will be able to do the job instead, he said.

The three main academic stairwells are still under construction, but are still functional until the new tiles arrive, he said.

As for the new flooring, the hallways outside the Fashion Room and the hallways in the science wings have been improved along with the lights and maintenance.

The contest gym has been completely repainted and the floors redone and is ready for the new school year, Osburn said.