Senior College Application Drop-in Day to Take Place Friday

By Adisa Ozegovic

During all periods on Friday, Oct. 13, seniors are invited to stop by the College and Career Resource Center to work on their college applications and have any questions they may have answered.

The main purpose for the drop-in day is to ensure that seniors are completing their applications in advance of their deadlines.

“We like to have an internal deadline for our seniors to talk to their counselors and make sure they are sending their applications. Most [college] applications have a Nov. 1 deadline, and we don’t want students to wait till the last day to submit their applications because there needs to be some time on our end to process transcripts, send our letter of recommendations,” college career counselor Daniel Gin said. “If we move this up on two weeks before the actual deadline then our counselors can guarantee that everything will get in on time. Also, we want our students not to wait until the last minute because sometimes something goes wrong, and if they have a few extra days they can correct the mistakes that the need to correct.”

Many students intend to use the day to their full advantage because they believe that the counselors give good advice that can assist them with their application.

“I will probably go because I need my letter of recommendation from my counselor,” senior Joe Merced said. “I think it will help me pretty well because counselors assistance has helped other students in the past. They pretty much know what to do, and they give good advice.”

Other students believe that they can communicate with their counselors often, so they don’t find coming to the drop-in necessary.

“I can’t go because I have a full schedule,” senior Zoha Ullah said. “I feel that I can speak with my counselor any time if I need help, so I don’t feel that I need to go today.”

In order to have a meeting with their counselors, students can either drop by at their office or schedule an appointment beforehand. Most Early Action and Early Decision applications are due on the beginning of November, so make sure to use the day to your full advantage.