National Honors Society Induction to be Held Wednesday

Last years National Honor Society induction ceremony.

Last year’s National Honor Society induction ceremony.

By Adisa Ozegovic, Staff Writer

The annual induction ceremony for Niles West’s chapter of the National Honor Society (NHS) will be held on Wed., Oct. 8 beginning at 6:30 p.m. and will last for approximately an hour, followed by a reception in the Student Commons with light refreshments for NHS members and their families. This induction ceremony will witness 83 students being inducted into the society.

According to college counselor and NHS sponsor Daniel Gin, the purpose of the ceremony is to honor the high-achieving students of Niles West, who have also proven themselves to have excellent character. Members must uphold the four pillars of NHS: scholarship, service, leadership, and character.

“The NHS Induction ceremony is to honor the 83 inductees into this National Honor Society chapter,” Gin said. “The students who are going to be inducted have shown first and foremost that they are scholars, that they have outstanding character, that they are leaders, and that they have service to others. This is about 15 percent of the senior class that has been inducted, so these are students who have done extremely well in high school.”

Students who are being inducted this year feel excited that they are being honored, especially since their parents and family will be there to witness them walking across the stage.

“I’m thrilled,” senior Zoha Ullah said. “I feel like my hard work has paid off extremely well. My parents are going to come to the ceremony; I’m super excited that they’re going to see me walk across the stage when my name is called.”

Other inductees are excited that they are going to be inducted along with all of their friends and companions, which will make the night even more fun.

“I’m excited to see all of us in our black robes with the candlelit lighting,” senior Sydney Luong said. “It’ll be fun to have us all together.”

The night will begin with principal Jason Ness saying a few words to the inductees at 6:30 p.m. Each year, the inductees vote on an inspirational teacher to speak at the ceremony, and this year, the address will be give by science teacher Neil Koreman. Finally, the students will walk across the stage shortly after the NHS president has completed her speech.

Be sure to congratulate the inductees on all of their hard work and dedication throughout the past three years of high school.