You Make a Difference Breakfast to be Held Wednesday

By Ella Ilg, Staff Writer

The biannual “You Make a Difference” Breakfast for faculty will take place in the student commons on Wed., Nov. 8, at 7:30 a.m..  This has been a tradition at West since students get the chance to shine a light on their favorite teachers in front of the administration.

Secretary Judy Wheatman has been continuing the tradition for the past seven years, and the event has been active long before.

“I think it’s great that we give the students a voice to express their feelings and thoughts regarding the faculty and staff. We have an awesome group of people here at West, [so] why not let students acknowledge the ones that truly stand out in their minds and make a difference to them,” Wheatman said.

Students were able to nominate a teacher on a survey by writing a small paragraph on why they deserve to be recognized. The students will have the chance to give a small speech about why they nominated their favorite teacher, and the impact the teacher has had on them.

“I really like how it makes the teachers feel like they’re being rewarded. Plus, I’m a firm believer that food brings people together, so the breakfast is a nice, comfortable environment to celebrate. I think everyone should nominate someone,” junior Donya Richter, who nominated her German teacher Josef Neumayer, said.

Many teachers received numerous nominations from several students. Science teacher Thomas Jodelka was nominated four times; English teacher Dena Lichterman and science teacher Emily Roth were each nominated twice.

History teacher Daniel Kosiba was delighted to know that he was nominated.

“I’m very honored. I didn’t get into teaching for the awards and the glory, but the reason why I love teaching is to be able to make a positive difference in my student lives. So getting an award from [the students] means a lot because that’s who I care about the most.” Kosiba said.

The other nominated teachers include Tamara Jaffe, Lou Metallo, Benjamin Grais, William Wittleder, Chantel Hubbell, Anthony Serafini, Christopher Hawker, Tapan Patel, John Metzler, Linda Dunne, Scott Ackman, Poonam Patel, Shaun Waldron, Kristen Jackson, Michelle Kline, Michael Boll, and DaJuan Brooks.