2011 Girls Varsity Swimming/Diving Preview

[singlepic id=2359 w=320 h=240 float=left]The NWN talked to varsity head coach Jason Macejak about the season, the Girls Swimming and Diving team, and what makes coaching them so enjoyable.

NWN: How is the team looking this year?

Macejak:The Varsity swimming and diving looks very different from last year because of the large graduating class of 2011.  We have four returning varsity swimmers and two returning varsity divers.  The rest of the varsity squad is composed mostly of JV swimmers from last year.  The varsity swim team has four freshmen with competitive experience to help fill holes from last years’ graduating class as well.

NWN: Let’s talk about the schedule this year?

Macejak: We added Northside College Prep to our schedule this year and look forward to hosting them on the 1st of September to start our meet schedule. We are also looking forward to hosting two different teams in our annual six team invite.

NWN: What are some of the team’s strengths and weaknesses?

Macejak: Our overall weakness on the team is having very little competitive experience before they get to high school.  Over the years we should see that change as our club team develops and grows throughout the community.

NWN: What should everyone know about the team?

Macejak: The main reason I enjoy coaching this team is everyone works extremely hard.  Attendance is usually not an issue.  I never have to worry too much about the girls violating code of conduct policies. The girls are a fun group and they make going to practice enjoyable for me as a coach.

NWN: Who are going to be key contributors to the team this season?

Macejak: Star returning athletes are sophomore Edan Scott and senior diver Kelly Sanks.  Both are returning from appearances at the state meet last year where Edan placed 6th in the 50 free as a freshmen.

NWN: Any other comments you’d like to add about the team or the season?

Macejak: I look forward to seeing some more school records being broken this year by Edan and some of the frosh/soph records being broken by the young varsity group we have this year.

The team’s next home meet is scheduled for Friday, Sept. 23 against North at 5:30 p.m.