2017-18 Boys Basketball Preview

Photo By: Sana Kadir

Photo By: Sana Kadir

By Sarah Cohen, Staff Writer

As the temperature starts to drop, that signifies the start of boys basketball season.

For the boys this season, having goals set will be detrimental to whether or not they will have a successful season.

“Having our goals set high is one of the most important things in order for us to be successful this season. We’re working hard this year to become better as a team and learn how to play as one,” senior Nick Zerbinopoulos said. “We’re hoping to go further in the season and go to playoffs this winter.”

This upcoming winter season the varsity boys will be led by new coach, Michael Wasielewski. Not only are the boys excited and ready to play, but so is their head coach.

I’m looking forward to bonding and working hard with the team to compete against a very tough schedule of opponents this season,” Wasielewski said.

Before becoming head coach at Niles West, Wasielewski had previously coached as an assistant varsity basketball coach at Stevenson High School. He was also the head coach at Waukegan High School and Elmwood Park High School during his career. Given his extensive knowledge and experience of coaches, the boys are looking for a great season ahead of them. 

“In my career, I’ve coached in highly successful basketball programs and I’ve coached in very bad basketball programs. Those experiences have given me a lot of insight into running a program. I will use that experience to implement what works best for the players at Niles West. I just hope to be a positive influence in the school,” Wasielewski said.

Coach Wasielewski is ready to implement some new techniques to guarentee better results compared to last season.

“In our program, the players set the goals for what they want to achieve this season. But from a coaching standpoint, we know that we need to be the hardest working team in the conference in order to be successful. We have a mature group of guys coming out for the team who understand this. We will expect the guys to unify, commit to getting better, and conduct themselves with the highest level of class on a daily basis,” Wasielewski said. 

“We have high expectations this year for ourselves. As a team, our goals are to be one of the best team if not the best team in conference and hopefully make a good run in the state tournament,” senior Sami Massih said.

Check out 8 to 18 to find out when the boys are playing and be there to support them throughout the winter season.