Q & A with the Freshmen

The NWN sat down with freshmen Chase Finkelstein, Maria Coss, Ashleigh Aybar, and Jeremiah Garretson, to find out how West is treating them so far. Check out what they had to say!

Jeremiah

NWN: What did you expect your first day of high school to be like?

Chase: I thought it would be pretty crazy. I thought that I would get lost, and I thought the teachers would be rough, like giving homework on the first day.
Maria: I didn’t think it was going to be too bad. I thought I was going to get lost a couple of times, but I didn’t think I would have any other problems.
Ashleigh: I thought it would be really crowded and hard for me to get around. I figured there would be a lot of pushing and yelling.
Jeremiah: I thought it would be fun, thought I’d get more challenging work than junior high.

Ashleigh

NWN: Did your first day go the way you expected it?

Chase: I guess it was what I had expected. I got kind of lost. I didn’t think I would get help, but I did.  I’m glad my mentor showed us around the school during Freshman Orientation, otherwise I would have been so lost.
Maria: Pretty much. I did get lost and I had some problems with getting money onto my account for lunch, but that’s about it.
Ashleigh: I actually got around faster than I thought I would. No one pushed me around and no one bullied the freshmen like I thought they would.
Jeremiah: Yeah, I thought I would meet new people, and I like the people that I met.

NWN: What’s the biggest difference between junior high and high school for you?

Chase: The amount of kids in the building. There’s so many new people, new friends, new everything. Plus, the school is huge.
Maria: I get to see all the older people that I know. I didn’t see them that much when I was still at Lincoln and they were here. I like that.
Ashleigh: There’s more people. The school is bigger and it has more levels. The people are bigger too, but it’s harder to get around.
Jeremiah: Everything. The teachers, classwork, lunch. Lunch is so much better here than it was at my junior high. We get computers. We never got to have our own computers until now.