Girls Varsity Basketball Takes on Niles North

Nirvana Meseljevic

Senior Tricia Pabst plays hard defense against Glenbrook South.

By Sonja Malek, Academics Editor

The varsity girls basketball team will face the Niles North Vikings on Tuesday, December 5. It is one of the most anticipated games of the season for players, fans and coaches.

This is Kyle Braheny’s first season as varsity coach. He gained the position when former head coach Tony Konsewicz resigned at the end of last year. Previously, Braheny had been assistant coach of the varsity boys’ team and the head coach of the boys’ sophomore team. This season, he’s excited to see how he can impact the girls’ team.

“We are really beginning to hit our stride and to see our potential to be a really dangerous team that no one wants to play. Our girls are playing hard and are buying into what our program stands for,” Braheny said. “As for my first year as head coach, I’m really excited about what I’m seeing from my players. The effort is there and we are making significant improvements each day. I couldn’t be more proud of these girls.” 

The girls’ season started out slowly with three losses, but senior and varsity team member Nerina Alic believes that despite a rocky start, there is a lot in store for the girls this season, especially because of their current winning streak.

One factor that has led to the team’s improvement over the course of this season has been the way they are able to bring their different skills together to be successful.

“We have a very talented, skilled team that has great chemistry. We also have an amazing defensive team that creates many turnovers on other teams,” Alic said. “I would say our weakness is that we don’t play our best for a full 32 minutes. We start out strong, but then get too comfortable and tend to slack off on what we are supposed to do. We also tend to put our heads down if we mess up on something, and we shouldn’t.”

The game against North means a lot for the girls because of the rivalry between the schools.

“We made team goals at the beginning of the season, and one of the team goals is to beat Niles North,” Braheny said. “It’s a fun, competitive rivalry game and our players are really excited about it. I would say our goal for tomorrow’s game against Niles North is to play fundamental and disciplined basketball and leave with a win.”

Alic is excited both for this game and for the rest of the season under the leadership of a new head coach.

“[Braheny is] a smart coach who will lead our team to be successful this year,” Alic said. “He focuses a lot on defense, which is something we get better at every day. Even though he is only our coach, he cares about us off and on the court. He’s a great role model.”

West fans have been anticipating this game because of how well the girls have been doing. Junior Shayn Szlak will be at the game, and hopes that fan support will be strong.

“I come out to support the girls and the team pretty often to see how we’ll do,” he said. “I definitely think that because the girls have been playing together for a couple of years they’ll be able to do well and come out with a win.”

Be sure to come out and support the girls as they take on the Vikings Tuesday night. The game will be held at Niles North at 7:30 p.m.