Five Tips for Finals

By Divitya Vakil, News Editor

Though it seemed like yesterday was just the start of the 2017-2018 school year, finals week has finally arrived, leaving many scrambling to cram a semester’s worth of material in just a couple of nights. While this may seem like the only possible option to pass, there are plenty of other ways to perform well during finals week. Here are some tips to keep you sane and hopefully stress-free.

1) Rogerhub is your best friend.

Since CampusPortal shuts down during finals, it is important to make sure you know exactly what your grades are– decimal points matter since an 89.9 and 89.0 are pretty different grades. It’s good to write down all of your grades for each class along with the lowest possible grade to get an A or B. Also, for example, if you have a 86 in Math but a 79 in History, spend more time on boosting that history grade. I’m not saying don’t study at all for math–just put more time into history since it’s a borderline grade and there’s the possibility of getting a B rather than a C. The math grade isn’t really going anywhere, so as long as you do pretty well, you’ll most likely get a B.

2) Use teachers’ reviews and study guides.

Just because a teacher isn’t collecting a study packet doesn’t mean that it won’t be helpful! The workload might seem like a lot but it’s good to do most (or all) of the pages provided. It’s a good refresher for the material that you have mastered and is beneficial for the material that you don’t really remember or know.

3) Study with friends.

For me personally, it’s so much easier to study in a group rather than by myself. Talking through concepts out loud has been proven to increase understanding, so try to grab a group of friends and hit up a study room or Starbucks. It’s much easier to figure out a math problem if you have a friend or two figuring it out with you.

4) Don’t try to cram it all in on one night.

Overworking can lead to stressing about everything you don’t know, and it’s also an ineffective way to remember things well. Study a little bit each night up until the night of the final. Then just review the packet, flashcards, and whatever other materials you have. You can’t expect to be able to learn a whole new unit in one night. By doing a little each night, you’ll be less overwhelmed and feel more confident about acing that final.

5) Find a method of de-stressing that works for you.

I know it’s really hard not to not stress about your grades and your finals, but at least try to calm down about everything. Whether you need to listen to your favorite song just before the final, chew a certain flavor of gum, or just get a full night of rest, do what you need to do in order to get your head in the right space for success. Remember that in five years you probably won’t even remember your exact grades from high school. Just try your best — it’s going to be okay.