First Day of International Feast Showcases Diversity of Niles West

Student+from+Middle+Eastern+club+serves+food+to+Principal+Jason+Ness.+

Student from Middle Eastern club serves food to Principal Jason Ness.

By Al Sto, Staff Writer

As the first international week reaches its climax, students and faculty gather in the student commons to taste foods from cultures across the globe. Six cultural clubs offered a wide range of flavors- Bosnian, French, Assyrian, Korean, Middle Eastern, and Latino.

“This is one of the most unique things about Niles West,” social studies teacher Matt Wiemer said. “I don’t think many high schools in this area or probably the country have a day like this. We have so many great cultural clubs at West, and the fact that we can do a fundraiser, take a trip around the world with our stomachs, and have to break up the event into two different days is pretty amazing.”

Over a dozen tables covered with trays of food quickly attracted hordes of hungry students and staff who were eager to purchase hot meals.

“Today’s student turnout was wonderful and a lot of people have been coming to support all of the clubs. It’s been a real fun experience being a part of Bosnian and Montenegro club, and having everyone support us has been great,” club co-president Sabrina Vulic said.

Savory entrees like burek and falafel were available, as well as desserts like crepes and flan for those with a sweet tooth. The combination of Balkan, Middle Eastern, and Latin cultures did an exceptional job illustrating the diversity of Niles West.

“I think it’s so cool that we go to one of the most diverse schools in the state of Illinois, and it’s great to see all these different foods and cultures.  I feel like this brings our school closer together,” senior Diego Acosta said.

As this week comes to an end, the remaining half of the cultural clubs at our school prepare to exhibit their cuisine next week on Wednesday, February 7.