The Brains: Mohammad Larya

Sammy Butera

Mohammad Larya serving DECAlicious.

By Nirvana Meseljevic, Staff Writer

Piles and piles of homework are one aspect of high school that no student likes; keeping the motivation to push through each and every school day is a struggle for almost every adolescent. For junior Mohammad Larya, the hunger for knowledge provides that motivation and pushes him to excel in every academic endeavor.

“Ever since I was a kid, I was interested in knowing more. I think I got this quality from my dad. When I was a kid, he would sit with me and teach me how to multiply and divide, how to read and how to write. I’m motivated by the power of knowledge because that’s the most important thing to me,” Larya said.

Larya has relatives at Niles West who have gone to school with him their entire lives. Junior Mohammad Patel, one of Larya’s cousins, has seen him grow as a person- both with his academics and his friendships.

“Being his cousin is something I’m proud of. He’s one of the smartest kids I’ve met who not only excels phenomenally in school, but does so while having a social life. Mo excels at such an extraordinary rate. Ask any alumni from Lincoln Hall about Mo Larya, and they will all tell you the same thing,” Patel said.

Amongst demanding classes and a rigorous schedule, Larya also manages to keep a steady social life. Finding a balance between school and friends is tricky for most students, but Larya has it figured out, so he can have the best of both worlds.

Larya has been in accelerated classes ever since middle school, and he’s continued to grow and excel in his academics. This growth does not go unrecognized, as peers and friends are all in agreement about Larya’s seemingly endless knowledge. His knowledge doesn’t go unnoticed, especially by his teachers, who enjoy having him in class.

“He’s like the perfect student that works hard. He participates, he’s easy-going, makes jokes to be funny, but yet knows how to be on top of business. He’s also always impeccably dressed, and his hair is always perfect,” Math teacher Colleen Gogerty said.

Along with his high intellectual level, Larya also has impeccable style. His friends and classmates notice his stylish outfits that he puts together for school, as well as his shoes.

“Mo is one of the most fashion-savvy people I have ever met. I’m usually the type of girl to wear leggings and a sweatshirt to school, and Mo shows me up every morning with one of his outfits. He also has these new shoes that he gets almost every week,” junior Nina Gillespie said.

For someone as intelligent as Larya, the only way from here is up. The possibilities are endless, and this motivates him every day.

“I have bright hopes for the future, so that keeps me focused and concentrated. If there’s one thing I’d recommend to others, it’s simply to pay attention in class and ask questions,” Larya said. “No homework or notes will help you as much as listening to your teacher and getting your confusion cleared up.”

Contributions were made by Divitya Vakil