Increased Security Measures for North Students

Due+to+the+many+security+threats+in+the+last+few+weeks%2C+North+has+instated+more+security+measures.+

Due to the many security threats in the last few weeks, North has instated more security measures.

By Divitya Vakil, News Editor

Niles North Principal James Edwards sent an email to students and parents on Sun. Feb. 25 about safety and security updates that will be instated in the wake of a series of bomb threats.

In the past few weeks, Niles North has experienced three threats, one of which resulted in an evacuation to Niles West. As recent as Fri. Feb. 23, a Niles North student reported seeing a threat against the high school over social media. Edwards addressed this by sending a letter to parents, students, and faculty.

The security updates are as follows:

Student Access to Niles North: 
Students must produce a Niles North Identification Card to enter the building and enter only through doors 2, 12 and 16. Students without an ID will sign in and have their identity checked at a computer station before they proceed into the building.

Outside Food and Drink:

Parents and guardians are prohibited from bringing food to their students.  No outside delivery of food ordered by students will be allowed.

Visitors to Niles North During School Hours:

From 6:00 am to 3:23 pm, all visitors to the building must be identified by showing a picture ID card. A driver’s license or state ID card is preferred and are the only documents that can be scanned by the visitor management software program.

Visitors to Niles North After School Hours:

All visitors between the hours of 3:23 p.m. and 10:00 pm are required to identify themselves and show some form of identification. The visitor will need to state their business in the building. The only exception is for special events taking place in the building (play or athletic event), only then will visitors not need to log in the book.

Building Access After 10 pm:

The building will be closed from 10:00 pm till 6:00 am and no one other than certified staff members will be allowed in.  All events that began before that time will be allowed to finish.

“As a way to better ensure the safety of all students and staff, we are tightening up existing and adding additional security measures effective Monday, February 26th, 2018.  These measures are part of an ongoing effort to improve security at Niles North,” Edwards stated.