Stores Leading the Way with Individual Gun Control Measures

Dicks+Sporting+Goods+has+led+the+way+in+instituting+store-wide+regulations+on+the+sale+of+guns+and+ammunitions.+

Dick’s Sporting Goods has led the way in instituting store-wide regulations on the sale of guns and ammunitions.

By Adisa Ozegovic, Staff Writer

As a response to the outcry against the National Rifle Association (NRA) following the mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, two of the leading firearms venders, Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart, have taken measures to regulate, and effectively limit, their sale of firearms.

Dick’s announced that the company would be terminating assault-style rifle sales in stores along with no longer selling high-capacity magazines on Wed., Feb. 28. Following Dick’s announcement, Walmart, the lead vender of firearms, declared it would no longer sell any products that remotely resemble a semi-automatic rifle. Both of the retailers have also enabled an age requirement of 21 years in order to purchase a firearm.

According to Edward Stack, the chief executive of Dick’s, the company’s motivations for their recent measures were to stand in solidarity with the Parkland students and inform the public of Dick’s stance on gun reform.

“When we saw what happened in Parkland, we were so disturbed and upset,” Stack said. “We love these kids and their rallying cry, ‘Enough is enough.’ It got to us. We’re going to take a stand and step up and tell people our view, and, hopefully, bring people along into the conversation.”

Other companies have also been taking steps to publicly dissociate from the N.R.A., including MetLife insurance, Hertz car rental, and Delta Airlines among others.

Some students don’t agree with some of the company regulations, specifically the raising of the age requirement, because they don’t believe it’ll have as much of an effect as mental background checks.

“I believe this is stupid because, if you look at the mass shootings, they’ve been over 21. There’s only been one case, which is the one in Florida, where the guy was 19. I believe changing the age will not make a difference,” sophomore Emiliano Gonzalez said. “What would make a difference is psychological check-ups if they have mental problems. I believe the Second Amendment applies to everyone.”

Despite this, other students are glad to hear of the companies’ actions, as they believe them to be a demonstration of accepting and valuing student voice.

“I really like that the CEO of Dick’s believes that since the students from Florida have had so much bravery and courage to speak out that Dick’s should have the same courage to restrict gun sales,” senior Nicole Cwiok said. “Student voices matter. It’s our voices and passion to make school safe that this will not just become a phase. Something needs to be done.”