2011 Varsity Football Preview

[singlepic id=2332 w=320 h=240 float=left]The NWN had a chance to sit down with Head Coach Scott Baum to talk about the season, the team, and how far the Wolves will go this season

NWN: What did you think of the team’s first win (against Westinghouse in the season opener)?

Baum: A win is a win. It is certainly something we wanted to do, I think it’s the first time we’ve won the opener since 2003. Our guys played really well, but there is still some room for improvement

NWN: How does the team look this year?

Baum: We’re extremely excited about this year’s team, we have a good group of hard working kids, and they have a great attitude this year.

NWN: What will be the toughest game of the season?

Baum: The North game, I feel that’s a bit of a cliché, but it’s true. Probably either North or Maine South, if they’re on your schedule you almost have to say them. (Editor’s Note: West lost to North, 0-2).

NWN: What are some of the team’s strengths and weaknesses?

Baum: A major strength of our team is that we’re very athletic, and it seems like the team has bonded well, they’re very well connected. Our major weakness is depth, we’re not a very deep team.

NWN: What are the team’s goals for the season?

Baum: Our main goal as always is to win and improve weekly, and we want to get to that 10th game, meaning we qualify for the state playoffs.

NWN: How well will the team do this year/ how likely is that 10th game?

Baum: I think that if we take care of business on the field week to week, and we keep improving, then stranger things have happened.

NWN: What are three adjectives that describe the team?

Baum: Athletic, aggressive, and hard-working.

NWN: Most influential/Important players on the team?

Baum: Our captains are probably the most influential/impactful on the team. They are, seniors Brandon Jones, Andrew Matias, Terrance Bramlett, and junior Mike McGivern.

The team takes on Maine West this Friday, Sept. 9 at 7 p.m.