Advice For Your Freshman Year

By Ella Ilg, Arts and Entertainment Editor

Entering high school can be stressful and sometimes scary. Many freshmen enter high school from a middle school where they had gotten used to being a big fish in a little pond, and then suddenly, they enter huge pond where they feel like an impossibly small fish. I remember my initial thought during my first day here at Niles West: “Wow, I’m going to school with adults.” There were seniors I saw who looked like they should already be playing for the Bulls or Bears, with full beards and tattoos, towering above me at what must have been seven feet tall.

I did my best to keep a brave face, stick my chin up high and march through the school, but after that long day the first thing I did was search “Freshman Advice” online. Now, here I am giving advice to underclassmen from what I have accumulated from my experiences at Niles West.

1. Use Your Backpack- Some middle schools don’t allow students to carry their backpacks with them, and the students had to carry all of their books and supplies in their arms. In high school, this will be impossible, even if you have the forearms of Thor after years of carrying your books. Textbooks are heavy, and depending on it’s location, sometimes locker visits are not an option. You are allowed to carry your backpack with you all day so take advantage of that and don’t try to stubbornly stick to your middle school ways.
  2. Put Your ID in Your Wallet- Some social expectations are not told to you as an incoming freshman, and a big one at Niles West is that no student wears their ID on a lanyard, and most put it in the clear section of their wallet. In addition to this – bring your wallet to school. You’ve never needed it before in school, but now it’s a must. Between lunch lines, vending machines, bake sales, and school clothing sales, you’ll notice your lack of money and wallet quickly. Even if you don’t have money to spend, still bring it as a secure place to keep your school ID and other small items.
  3. Always Keep A Charger On You- Whether it be for a phone or your laptop, always keep it on you. You may be doubting if a phone charger is necessary but I assure you it is. You’ll be shocked how much you use your phone in school, during lunch, passing periods, homeroom, and sometimes your teacher will ask for everyone to pull their phones out, and if yours is at 4% battery you’ll be plum out of luck. Even if your phone and laptop are fully charged, there might be that person in class who needs one, and there’s no better first impression to your new classmates than being kind and prepared.
  4. Stay Organized- Stay on top of your work, but this advice is more literal. Have designated folders and binders for your sciences and your humanities, and don’t do what I did freshmen year and shove every single paper you get into your laptop case. Being disorganized will add unneeded stress to your day and you’re more likely to lose important papers. In addition, do your best to be consistent with a planner and record your homework daily – starting good habits early will make staying organized easier throughout the rest of your high school career.
  5. Join Clubs- I know going home the second the ninth period bell rings is incredibly tempting, but get involved after school. My major regret is not doing theatre sooner, since as a freshman I was exhausted and scared of commitment. Even if it isn’t something as intense as a sport or theatre, going to a club one day a week can still help you get involved and make new friends at school. Staying close and holding onto your middle school friends for dear life is the plan for a lot of freshmen, but making new friends is very important and part of the freshmen experience.

Here are some rapid fire specific advice to help out with the small things.

1. If you’re a girl or a guy with long hair, during the swim unit put your hair in a towel, your body will dry quicker and it’ll make it easier to change.
  2. Keep your textbooks in your locker, online textbooks tend to be used more often for class and it’ll keep you from having unnecessary back pain.
  3. Sitting alone at lunch can feel depressing, and what helps with this depression is Netflix downloads and Youtube. The couches in the student commons are also very comfortable for napping.

Hopefully these tips from a wise, tired senior will help make your freshmen year more pleasurable than it might have been.