High School vs. Middle School According to Freshmen

By Zubair Muhammad, Staff Writer

The transition from middle school to high school is a tough one. With more classmates, bigger hallways and lockers, along with a plethora of extracurriculars offered here at West, it truly is a different experience for freshmen than they are accustomed to.

One big change for many freshmen coming into high school is having to step out of their social circle and meeting many new people.

“In middle school, you know everyone; it’s a comfortable environment because you’ve been around everyone since elementary,” freshman Miki Canak said.

Besides new faces, freshmen find classes offered here at West more difficult and intensive.

“More homework is expected, I have a lot of readings for AP world history. But I like how they offer everyone to take advanced classes because in middle school [Lincoln Hall], the GATE program only had 10-15 people,” freshman Kareem Dibs said.

According to freshman Katelin Chong, she’s had to study and work harder to pass tests.

“Well, there’s definitely more work than I got at middle school, in middle school, it was like if you were struggling you would have to study for a test but here it’s like you need to study to pass,” Chong said.

Despite the stresses of social groups and classes, freshmen agree they like it better here than at middle school because of the freedom and opportunities.

“I like the freedom in high school and being able to use your phone even though we weren’t allowed to middle school. You can carry your backpack around so you don’t have to stop by your locker anymore.” Canak said.

Besides the freedom, freshmen admire the variety of classes and activities they are offered here at West.

“I like how small Parkview was and how easy it was to get to classes but I like the teachers here and the variety in classes,” Chong said.

But some things are just better back at ye old middle school.

“Middle school is so more chill- the hallways here are so crowded,” Dibs explained.