2018 Boys Varsity Soccer Preview

Al Sto

Last season the varsity soccer team defeated Niles North by two goals, bringing home the traveling trophy.

By Ethan Carey, Staff Writer

As the ball hits the top left corner of the net the boys varsity soccer team is trotting around the field rejoicing in a play well-done. This years varsity squad has a healthy mix of seniors, juniors, and even some sophomores. The team is coming off of a solid season last year and with a couple new faces added to the roster, they are looking to keep the momentum going from last year.

Sophomore Gio Terlizzi is really excited for his first year on the varsity team and hopes this season is filled with wins. He’s confident in a good season after all of the work their teammates put in during the off-season.

“We have a great group of guys and are a very talented group. I think we will be a very competitive team and I am looking forward to winning most of our games this year,” Terlizzi said. “All of my teammates are my friends which will make the season a blast both on and off the field and I couldn’t be more excited for it.” 

Another player looking forward to the season is junior Jason Tenezaca, who’s first year on varsity soccer is this year. 

“My expectations for the team this year are very high because we have a solid group of players that all have the key factors in winning games,” Tenezaca said. “I think the most important thing is that we need to be able to communicate more than we do right now, I think once we overcome that, we’ll be unstoppable.”

Like any other sports team though, they are faced with challenges but junior Emiliano Gonzales is confident that their team can work through it and be successful.

“I think the lack of determination when facing the big named teams is our biggest problem. Gaining confidence and trust within each other when we are together on and off the pitch so that we can become more comfortable with each other should help give us that boost of confidence to take down the big teams during our season,” Gonzales said.

The Niles West boys soccer team season begin on Mon., August 20 at home against Schaumburg at 6:30 P.M.