Where Are You Now: Josh Weichel

Weichel+mid-game+during+his+time+at+West.+

Weichel mid-game during his time at West.

By Christina Lappas, Editor-In-Chief

After tackling the sport of football for seven years — from Niles West’s feeder program through all four years of high school — alum Josh Weichel decided to put the pads to rest when committing to Illinois State University for his freshman year of college.

Two years after graduating from West, Weichel noticed something missing in his life: football.

“I was at ISU and I wasn’t in a good place. I wasn’t happy with where I was and I felt like something was missing in my life,” Weichel said. “I decided to play at a junior college, College of DuPage, because I feel it presents the best opportunities for my future. I hope to move onto a Division I university and ultimately get my bachelors degree.”

Weichel impressively lost over 50 pounds this past year in order to get into his desired shape.

“Losing over 50 pounds has really impacted my life, on the field and off the field. I feel a lot better on my feet now: running, cutting, anything,” Weichel said. “Shedding all of that weight has really just lightened the impact on my body.”

Weichel attributes West for the techniques he has learned in football.

“West football made me develop skills on and off the field. My coaches and teammates helped me hone my craft day in and day out. West football really helped shape me into the person I am today,” Weichel said.

Former teammate and senior Hayden Kipp had the opportunity to play with Weichel while he was still in high school.

“Josh was always a great teammate and everyone knew that because of how much emotion he showed. He did a lot for our team and everyone noticed,” Kipp said.  “I think it’s great that he’s playing [in college] because if he has the passion and he still has the opportunity why wouldn’t you?”

Former coach Scott Baum was pleased seeing Weichel pickup football after his one year break.

“I’m glad he’s doing it [playing football], I know he was unsure last spring about continuing and I think he was frustrated with the recruiting process. You can never let these years go by and come back and try later,” Baum said.

Baum also recognized how Weichel learned to utilize his size, becoming a valuable addition to West’s team.

“From when he first walked in here he was a huge kid and when he left here he was a huge kid but he was a good football player,” Baum said. “He worked hard at what he had to do and I think he struggled at the beginning at times because of his size but once he matured into it he became a pretty good football player for us.”