Backlot Bash Fun-draising

The+fun+slide+at+the+Backlot+Bash+is+just+one+of+the+many+rides+at+the+festival.+

Emily Mendieta

The fun slide at the Backlot Bash is just one of the many rides at the festival.

By Emily Mendieta, Staff Writer

On August 24-26, Skokie’s Backlot Bash shut down three blocks on Oakton Street for their annual festivities. The Backlot Bash offered an abundance of activities for everyone to enjoy with live performances, carnival rides, games, and even a 5k on Saturday.

At the Backlot Bash, not only are there fun and games but also organizations that raise money for a good cause. One booth was raising money for District 219, which would help Niles West’s and Niles North’s departments.

“We’re here at the Backlot Bash today to support students, programs, and activities that are underfunded: anything from buying breakfast bars, fields trips, and helping departments at each of the high schools,” Matt Robins said.

There were also students from Dance Marathon, run by Ms. Flahive and Ms. Moy, raising money by running a dunk tank where kids and teachers can be dropped into a vat of water by a strategic hit on a target. Teachers such as Eric Oddo and Josef Neumayer showed their support by getting dunked.

“This is my second year in DM [Dance Marathon]. It’s been really fun so far, and it always feels good to raise money for a good cause. We also have a dunk tank, which makes it pretty interesting. There’s a neighborhood kid in it right now,” junior Ben Pham said.

All the Dance Marathon students excitedly shared information for the organization they are raising money for, Curt’s Cafe. Besides charging for each throw, Dance Marathon also sold t-shirts and cookies.

“Our cause is Curt’s Cafe. It’s a cafe located on Dempster and Evanston. They help teens who have chosen the wrong path in life and they provide another alternative where they can learn life skills and work in the cafe. It’s another alternative they can turn to,” junior Annie Schejebal said.