West Welcomes New Teachers

Along with the new faces of the  class of 2015, there are new faculty members at school as well. The NWN was able to talk to some of these teachers. If you see any of them in the halls, make sure to give them a big Niles West welcome!

Ms. Courtney Hanson

Q: What class do you teach?

A: I teach freshman and senior English.

Q: Where are you originally from?

A: I am originally from Hoffman Estates, IL.

Q: Have you taught anywhere previous to Niles West?

A: Yes, I have taught English at Amundsen High School in Chicago, IL for five years, and I have also taught at Bloomington High School in Bloomington, IL for six years.

Q: Have you always wanted to pursue a career in English?

A: Actually, I was first brought to the idea of teaching English starting in my mid 20s. One thing I knew I didn’t want to be was a tech writer; I didn’t like that at all.

Q: What are some things that the NW students should know about you?

A: I grew up with a large family of six kids. I have two sons –Cooper, who is five, and Tyler, who is two. I am a Chicago sports fan and traveling is a major part of my life.

Q: What compelled you to apply to Niles West?

A: Well, I knew that this was a great district and school. So far it’s been great!

Ms. Kim Davis

Q: Which science course do you teach?

A: I teach Anatomy and Physiology along with Chemistry.

Q: Where are you originally from?

A: I am from Southern Louisiana.

Q: Have you always wanted to teach Anatomy and Physiology or Chemistry?

A: I have always been into science. I did tech industry for a year, and I didn’t like that. I felt that I didn’t effect people enough and I didn’t make a mark among people.

Q: Have you taught anywhere prior to West?

A: I have taught for a total of five years. I taught two years at Notre Dame High School for boys in Chicago, and I taught three years at Wheeling High School.

Q: What’s something the Niles West students should know about you?

A: I grew up in a household where English was not my first language. I know of many students who have struggled in English and Reading, and I feel like I can relate. In my class, I help the students excel in science with reading mixed in. I try to connect the real world to science. It’s a huge help, and usually it’s a method that the students remember for a long time. I am also the assistant JV cheer coach.

A: I noticed the diversity and I love being here!

Mr. Kyle Braheny

Q: What do you teach?

A: I teach Algebra 12-22, Algebra 32-42 and I’m in the Lit Center.

Q: The NW students know that this isn’t your first year here, what job did you have last year?

A: I was an academic advocate. What an academic advocate does is meet with about 50 students that are assigned to the study hall I was in. What I would do with the students is talk about homework, tests, studying, and helping them become successful.

Q: Did you want to be a math teacher when you started at West?

A: Well, I got my degree in math education at the University of Iowa with the goal of becoming a math teacher, but I decided to apply to be an academic advocate when I saw that it was open.

Q: Where are you originally from?

A: I am from Schaumburg, IL and went to Schaumburg High School and graduated from there in 2005. Then, I went to University of Iowa, which I graduated from in 2009.

Q: What are some other things that students should know about you?

A: I am currently the sophomore boys basketball coach, and last year I was the freshman football coach. I’m mainly about math and sports.

Q: Being your first teaching job, do you like West?

A: Yes, I love teaching here so far. I love the kids and the district. I have no dislikes here!

Mr. Tapan Patel

Q: What do you teach?

A: I teach Spanish 3 / 4, Intro, and 5 / 6.

Q: Where are you from?

A: I was born in Chicago and raised in Mount Prospect.

Q: Where have you worked prior to West? (Is this your first teaching job?)

A: This is actually my seventh year of teaching. I’ve taught at both private and public schools before.

Q: Have you always wanted to teach Spanish?

A: During my junior year is when I decided I wanted to be a teacher. I was torn between teaching Spanish and other languages vs. science and math. I ended up choosing Spanish and languages because of the art, music, and people.

Q: What’s something students should know about you?

A: I like to work with students and I am an approachable person, able to talk whenever I am needed.

Q: What compelled you to apply to NW?

A: I had met the director before and that had gone well and I saw that the school was so diverse. So far, West has been really great. The students are super, and it’s also close to my home. It’s great!