Politics Club Preview 2018-2019

Politics Club is open to anyone, regardless of their position on the political spectrum.

iStockphoto.com

By Sarah Waters, Staff Writer

Students of any grade with a desire to learn about politics can find a home in Politics Club, sponsored by social studies teacher Joseph Edwards, which seeks to encourage students’ involvement in politics regardless of their beliefs or experience.

Plenty of students can feel discouraged when they hear the topic mentioned and may think of it as an isolated, unreachable matter. However, at Politics Club, every member seeks to encourage discussion and participation from everyone, regardless of their political beliefs.

Club president, senior Dat Luu, founded the group to give students a place for productive discussion.

There is often not a place in our lives that allows people to engage on issues in a productive manner with[in] our divisive political climate,” Luu said. “[Politics Club] hopes to be that place where insights can be had. Also, it looks good for college, but that’s the least important benefit in my opinion.”

Members of Politics Club are enthusiastic about its benefits and hope the club appeals to every student.

“My favorite part about politics club is getting to hear new perspectives on a wide range of issues, from Alex Jones and his wild conspiracy theories to different philosophies,” senior Umar Ahmed said. “It’s especially nice when everyone gets really into the discussion and it prompts debate.”

The club has something for everyone — regardless of prior experience. To join, students just need to bring a desire to learn and participate. The club is also a good environment for students who may not feel comfortable talking in front of large groups — the group is friendly and close-knit, so students are encouraged to open up and talk about whatever their opinions are.

Luu wants the club to be open to anyone and invites anyone who wishes to learn more about politics.

“[Politics Club is for] anyone who wants to inform themselves about our country and the world, as well as discover a place where they can challenge the views of others and be challenged back in an open-minded environment.”

Plenty of members share that sentiment. According to senior Caelin Muniz, Politics Club makes it a point to welcome members with every political background.

Through our discussions in the club, members can gain multiple perspectives on a certain issue. I’ve talked to some people who are reluctant to come to the club because they think their beliefs are too ‘controversial,'” Muniz said. Everybody is welcomed to participate, no matter where they stand in their political, social, or economic beliefs. Healthy debate is encouraged, which is something that can benefit everybody who shows up.”

Regardless of prior involvement in politics, club members want to ensure every student has a platform to express themselves. “Politics club can benefit a wide array of people, from anyone interested in politics or someone seeking to work on their public speaking skills. It also allows students to have a platform to express their opinions and values. The club has people from all ends of the spectrum,” Ahmed said.

Benefits of membership don’t stop at communication skills and knowledgeability — students can also earn internships and attend field trips with others in the club. Senior club officials say a priority is to translate involvement in the classroom to leadership within the community.

“There is a lot to gain from joining the club. This year we really want to get members engaged in the community, so we’re trying to get everyone some volunteer hours and even some internships,” Ahmed said. “There are also leadership opportunities within the club that look great on a college application. That aside, we’re also working on organizing a field trip. It’s just a very chill environment.”

Muniz was also complimentary of the club’s ability to prepare its members for civic engagement.

“The club helps students stay informed on what’s going on in the world, whether that be the Syrian civil war, Trump administration, or Illinois gubernatorial race.”

The club is experiencing some changes this year. While they still meet in room 2180, the club is making the schedule more accommodating to busy students.

Club meetings aim to alternate on Thursdays and Fridays with the exception of this week — which is only Friday — and next week which will be on both Thursday and Friday, to acclimate new members to the schedule,” Luu said. 

Politics club meets in room 2180 on Fridays after school.