5 Fun Halloween Activities

By Ella Ilg, Arts and Entertainment Editor

As we enter the official last week countdown until Halloween, there are a plethora of activities to partake in that will get you in the Halloween spirit, here are some of my suggestions.

1. The Classic Haunted House

There are several haunted houses throughout the Chicagoland area that are bound to freak you out. Staying local, there’s the inexpensive Scream Scene at the Oakton Pool, and the slightly more impressive House of Torment in Morton Grove. Both of these also have Niles West Students among their cast members, so you might be being chased by a demon girl who’s also in your 4th-period math class, which is always fun. Other popular ones include Hell Gate and Statesville Haunted Prison. If you’re trying to hit them all, you can find more here.

2. DIY Costumes

Not everyone likes wearing the thin, itchy and weirdly expensive costumes sold at stores, and if you and your friends are crafty, have a DIY get-together. Hit some thrift and craft stores with a friend and dedicate the long weekend to making your own costume. There are tutorials for just about everything, so you don’t have to go in blind either.

3. Midnight Movies

The Music Box is famous for their midnight shows, and this weekend they’re having Rocky Horror Picture Show performances, both of which are altered slightly to make a superior Halloween themed night. Nothing is better than a really weird, classic midnight movie to get you in the spirit. Although it isn’t quite midnight, Village Crossing’s AMC is doing 11:00 P.M. showings of Halloween and a 10:00 P.M. showing of Rocky Horror on the 26 and 27.

4. Take a Haunted Tour

Being right next to an old city with a history of mob violence and a destructive fire has its benefits — ghosts. Chicago has dozens of haunted tours to choose from, ranging from bus tours to kayaking on the Chicago River to boat tours to Segway tours. No matter how active you’re looking to be, there’s a spooky tour of Chicago’s ghosts and ghouls for you to experience. There are also tours that involve going directly into haunted locations, so you might even be able to experience some ghostly activity yourself.

5. Trick or Treating

Of course, it isn’t Halloween without trick or treating. In my opinion, you’re not too old until you have a mortgage. Free candy is hard to turn down. Even if others think it’s lame, you’re getting free candy and exercise and they’re not, which makes you the victor. If any homeowner gives you a problem for how old you are, you can always say you’re collecting it for your sick little sibling that can’t come (because they don’t exist). It’s a staple of Halloween since childhood, and they’ll have to pry that pillowcase from my cold dead hands, or just cold since the forecast is in the 40’s for that night.

If you’re trying to get in some last minute spirit, these are great ideas for putting some of that Halloween fun in your schedule.