Announcement: FAFSA is Now Open, West to Host Financial Aid Night

By Wyatt Zwik, Academics Editor

Yesterday, October 1st, was the first day students can file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA. The form is used for families to apply for federal grants, loans, and work-study programs for college students. Administered through the Department of Education, it provides over $150 billions worth of aid every year.

It is recommended to fill out the form as early as possible to increase chances for the amount of aid received, and so it can be sent in time to colleges. The form can be filled out online at fafsa.ed.gov, by telephone at 1-800-433-3243, or by paper.

Before filling out the FAFSA, you need to create a FSA ID at this website. Your parents will also need to create this ID. You will need your social security number in order to create it.

In order to fill out FAFSA once the ID has been created, your 2017 tax returns are required. You can use the receipt from when you filed them, or you can request a transcript transcript at irs.gov.

Additionally, today, October 2nd, district 219 will be hosting a financial aid guidance night for seniors and their parents in the Niles West Auditorium at 6:30 pm. It is recommended to go if this is your first time filling out the FAFSA and have any questions regarding the process.

Niles West college and career counselor Daniel Gin recommends attending the night to make sure the form is being filled out correctly in order to maximize the amount of aid received.

“The financial aid night will walk you step by step on how to fill out the financial aid form, FAFSA, and to make sure you don’t have any errors on it,” Gin said. “It’s just really important for students to learn how to do it so they can go in and do it right away.”