Lucas Vidrean: The Friendly Giant

Freshman+Lucas+Vidrean+anticipates+a+great+varsity+season.+

Freshman Lucas Vidrean anticipates a great varsity season.

By Sam Galanopoulos, Multimedia Editor

For 32 minutes, everything is forgotten. All homework, social interactions, and personal activities are set aside when the first whistle goes off. That’s the beauty of sports — the ability to go out and do what you love without any interruption. Freshman Lucas Vidrean is a key example of that when he plays basketball. Being around basketball since he was a little kid, his love for the game kept growing. Now being apart of the varsity boys’ team upon entering high school, he has high hopes for the next four years and all the doors that will be opened.

“I first started playing basketball back in fourth grade. I chose basketball because once I started playing, it was more than just a game and I wanted to be good. My favorite part about basketball is playing with my teammates on the court,” Vidrean said. “Something I’m really excited about this season is to grow and be the future of this team later on, but right now I’m focused on learning and being a good teammate.”

Vidrean, fortunately, isn’t the only athlete on the team that has been around the game for a while. Senior Kevin Guillaume has had experience playing on the varsity level for a few years now and recognizes the impact Vidrean has made already in such a short amount of time.

“It’s a huge plus to have Lucas on our team this year. His size, depth, and competitiveness are great to have in the sport of basketball. I expect him to play well. Being a freshman, I know it’s a lot more pressure but I think he is more than capable of doing great. He’s also a great teammate to hang around with and have fun with,” Guillaume said.

With a size of 6’5″ and being versatile enough to play all positions on the court, his talent surely didn’t go unseen. Varsity head coach Mike Wasielewski caught a quick glimpse of Vidrean and knew he was going to be something special.

“Lucas has been a really nice addition to the team. His size is definitely something that we can use a ton and he’s very versatile. He can get up the floor, play down low, and has a good eye for the game.” Wasielewski said.

Vidrean, being a very competitive and dedicated basketball player, has big dreams of playing college basketball. Participating in travel basketball throughout the spring and summer, he has dreams to play at the next level.

“An expectation I have for my team this year is to win in the really tough conference we play in and to not shy away from any team since we are very talented,” Vidrean said. “As for myself, I want to play Division 1 basketball and to continue to play for as long as physically possible, but for now, I’m going to go out and make the most of this season.”

Whether you are walking through the main gym or taking a glance into the field house, you can always find Vidrean working on his craft. Vidrean’s consistent work ethic, drive, and talent are limitless, allowing him to take basketball as far as he desires.