Dance Marathon Blood Drive to Be Held

Niles+West+security+guard+signing+up+to+donate+blood+to+the+blood+drive+from+past+years.+

Sophia George

Niles West security guard signing up to donate blood to the blood drive from past years.

By Aila Durakovic, Staff Writer

Niles West Dance Marathon is having a blood drive next week on Friday, Nov. 16, from 9:00 A.M to 3:00 P.M. in the wrestling gym. Signups for donating will be available starting Friday, Nov. 9 leading into all next week during lunch periods outside the cafeteria. You must be at least 16 years old and weigh at least 110 pounds to register.

Heartland Blood Centers will come to West to draw the blood from those who donate, so everything will be done cleanly and professionally. The blood will be used for patients in need of various procedures.  There will be music and snacks for those donating to keep the environment upbeat and celebrate the goodness of the drive.

The sponsor of Dance Marathon Karissa Moy will be donating her own blood and is feeling excited about the blood drive. Moy has been sponsoring the club for five years so far and is confident that there will be a great turnout at the drive.

“I will be donating. It’s such an easy way to make a difference in someone’s life, and it doesn’t take that long. Plus, it’s not too painful,” Moy said. “I think we will have a lot of people donating. There are many people in this school who have big hearts and want to give back to others, and donating blood is the perfect way to do that.”

Three-year member of Dance Marathon and junior Annie Schejbal will be helping out in the wrestling gym for any assistance during her free periods. Schejbal is extremely happy and optimistic that a lot of money will be raised to give to charities just like they’ve done in the past.

“I will not be donating blood because I am way to scared, but I’d love to donate at least once, hopefully by the end of high school. I’m super excited about the blood drive because in the past we have raised so much money for our charities and I’m hoping this year will be the same,”  Schejbal said.

There are many staff members looking forward to donating, but English teacher Michele Hettinger will not be participating.

“I will not be donating for the blood drive, I’ve never even been in one,” Hettinger said. “I support the drive. I think there is constantly a need for blood for those who don’t have enough. This morning, another twelve people killed by a gunman, and many more were injured so I think that there’s always a need for it.”

For more knowledge about the center that the blood will be donated to, check out Heartland Blood Centers.