How I Met Your Mother Premiere Disappoints

CBS aired “How I Met Your Mother” for the first time on Sept. 19, 2005. Six years later on Sept. 19, 2011, CBS aired the premiere of season seven.

“How I Met Your Mother” is a sitcom of Ted Mosby, his friends, and their stories in New York. It’s narrated with those stories with the voice of Bob Saget. It’s supposed to be as if Ted is telling his children stories of himself and his four witty friends, eventually leading up to how he met their mother, hence the name of the show.

We left off in the last episode of season six with Lily and her food poisoning from the ever-so-non-appealing soup place that Marshall loves for reasons unknown. While Barney and Robin try to stop Ted and Zoey from getting back together, they find themselves reconnecting about their own relationship. Oh, and one more important thing, Lily’s pregnant.

I expected these two back to back episodes to be great. It is the season debut, they have to be great, right?

While Lily and Marshall attempt to keep Lily’s pregnancy a secret, the gang has troubles of their own. Robin, with her truth voice and new haircut, drops a hint to Lily that she may or may not still have feelings for one of her ex’s. You could guess who. Yes, Ms. Robin Scherbatsky still has a thing for Barney. Chemistry is what Lily described it as.  Barney and Robin do a heated dance number at Punchie’s wedding to “Groove Is In The Heart.” It was a little cheesy, but it proved a point. It made it seem as if there really was some chemistry left between them.

Marshall, who is attempting to hide Lily’s secret while drinking her drinks as well as his own, finds it harder than he thought to keep the pregnancy on the DL. It was pretty funny to watch the old Beercules get back in the game. You’ll understand that nickname by the second episode. Babies are everywhere at the party, which prompts Lily and Marshall to tell their friends news of their own baby on the way.

Then there’s Ted. Oh, the hopeless romantic that he is. Or was. Lost his faith in destiny, which Robin attempts to bring out of him again. I’d like to see more love in his future, even if it’s not with Robin.

We leave off with a huge cliffhanger for Ted, but you’ll have to watch the episodes for yourself to find out. No big spoilers here.

I held it out until the end for both of the episodes, but looking back on them, they were just another episode. It didn’t feel like something special, which I expected since it was the  season premiere. “How I Met Your Mother” fell flat, which rarely happens, but I’ll keep my hopes high and my fingers crossed for the upcoming episodes.