MENU

Students and Staff Initiate Support Efforts for Mark Rigby

Back to Article
Back to Article

Staff members pose in the main gym sporting camo in support of Mark Rigby.

Ben Grais

Ben Grais

Ben Grais

By Divitya Vakil, Editor-in-Chief

In the wake of former assistant principal of operations Mark Rigby‘s resignation, students and staff are continuing to react to his absence from Niles West. At approximately 7:40 A.M., staff wearing camo met in the main gym.

“We’re doing this to support Mark,” math teacher Andrew Roche said.

After taking pictures and explaining the logistics, the group walked through the hallways out to the south lobby, making their way to the front of the building. The group gathered once again on the stairs, and Roche quickly stated, “Simply put, Niles West was a better place for students, faculty, and staff with Mark Rigby.”

Teachers express feelings of loss, noting again that Rigby was a respected member of the school community.

“Mark Rigby is respected, he [was] a leader of our school, and we miss him,” Spanish teacher Andrew Suarez said.

Respecting students, administration, and contractual obligations, the staff’s actions this morning did not interfere with scheduled activities or instruction.

“Everything is in total support of Mr. Rigby. He was an army ranger so wearing camo was a sign of support. Anything that we do like this we always do it prior to whatever our contractual obligation is in terms of teaching,” science teacher Dave Genis said.

“We will always be respectful of school policy and the students,” physical education teacher Anthony Konsewicz said.

The teachers walked back in before 8:00 A.M.

Teachers walk through the fog to support former Assistant Principal of Operations Mark Rigby.

In addition, on Wed., December 12, an Instagram account with the username “@bringbackrigby” began following several Niles West students. The account posted that students should chant “Rigby” at the winter pep assembly. The owner of the account is unknown.

Students feel that the creation of the account was bound to happen.

“The creation of an account dedicated to bringing a faculty member back really shows how much Mr. Rigby was loved by those at Niles West and how much of an impact he had on this school,” junior Peter Kougias said.

Divitya Vakil
The account @bringbackrigby has four posts, two of which are about the Winter Pep Assembly.

This story will continue to be updated.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Students and Staff Initiate Support Efforts for Mark Rigby”

1. Tamara JAFFE-NOTIER on December 16th, 2018 6:47 am

I had to be absent on Friday, to attend my daughter’s college graduation. Otherwise, I would have joined my colleagues in this protest.

As a math teacher, Dean, and Assistant Principal, Mark Rigby gave his heart, mind, and whole self to his job. He cared about each person at Niles West: students, non-union staff, and union staff. He helped us make it a great day every day. There’s no “miscarriage of justice” here; there’s no justice at all. Our hearts are broken by not seeing our outstanding colleague in the building every day, and by the loss of leadership. In his absence, all we can feel is that there is something very wrong with a district that so easily allows a fine academic and administrative leader to slip away.

2. Bobby on December 25th, 2018 8:48 pm

Glad to hear Rigby is gone. The school will be a much better place without him. He is more invested in supporting his colleagues and friends than standing up for what’s right.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Carousel

Spring Pep Assembly In Review

• Students and Staff Initiate Support Efforts for Mark Rigby

Academics

Pi Day 2019

Carousel

Meet Me In A Minute: Petra Barbur

Carousel

Wolfpack Gives Back In Review 2019

Carousel

Black History Month Assembly