Niles West News to Celebrate 1-Year Anniversary!

The staff of Niles West News will be celebrating its first year anniversary on Tuesday, Sept. 20 in the Student Commons during period 3-7.

Come join the NWN on Tuesday to celebrate with free food (cake!) and a chance to win a free NWN t-shirt or a free Chipotle giftcard!

NWN transitioned to an online publication Sept. 20, 2010 rather than continuing the print newspaper formerly known as the West Word.  The NWN is dedicated to informing students throughout the school about the most recent events and the most extraordinary students by publishing stories, taking photos, and creating videos .

Editor-in-Chief, senior Colene Gibson leads the NWN website along with a staff of almost 30 journalism students and the broadcast team to keep the school informed. English teacher Evelyn Lauer and broadcasting teacher Eric Lueder advise the publication.

In their first year, the NWN won an Online Pacemaker Award, a feat which the staff hoped to accomplish in three years. The NWN also won a Best in Show Award, which is an award recognizing online publications as best amongst their competition, during the conference in Anaheim last year. In its first year, the site garnered more than 225,000 pageviews and more than 800 comments.