Senioritis is Already an Epidemic

By Christina Lappas, Editor-in-Chief

With a majority of college applications being submitted and finals being over with, second-semester seniors waltz through the halls without a care in their mind — it’s college time now. Most everyone has heard of the notorious term “senioritis,” and once January 7 hit, that term that was once just a term becomes a reality.

At this point in the year, a lot of students are either committed to their college or are just about to be. It instills the thought that you don’t need to be on your A-game, literally.

Personally, doing homework is never something that really excited me but I still chugged along in order to learn and maintain my grades. Now, I am accepted into college and all my transcripts are sent. It’s been drilled into my head that as long as I don’t flunk out, I’ll be okay.

I can honestly say that walking into the doors of school the first day of second-semester I didn’t think I would succumb to the senioritis everyone talks about. But, there’s just something about it. I don’t know that if it’s because I’ve been told that for so long that I’ve subconsciously joined in on it.

From the minute I walk into my house after school, my backpack hits the floor and I hit the couch. The motivation required in order to do homework, let alone the motivation required to open the backpack, is just not there. The lack of effort that is needed to put on a Netflix show is much less than the effort needed to complete homework.

The worst part about senioritis is that you still get the same workload that you’ve always gotten but the drive just isn’t there. No amount of work you have or tests you have will deter the typical afterschool schedule of Netflix and naps.

I’m not sure how to cure this quick-spreading issue or if it’s even curable. One way that is can be kept at bay is by attempting to finish all of your homework throughout the day at school. Therefore, by the time you are home, there’s nothing left to do and you can relax knowing your work is done.

Essentially, second-semester of senior year is a time to bask in the glory of being the oldest grade in the school while enjoying all the perks of being a senior: Gotcha, Prom, Graduation. There’s so much to look forward to this semester that isn’t academically focused, how could you want to do homework?